Is it remapped?!

DPM

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Website
www.dpmperformance.co.uk
:confused:

I'm suppose to be going down to MRC a week today to get the S3 remapped but at the moment a lot of things are pointing in the way of the car already being remapped!

The MAF gives a reading of 201gps when on the Vag.com

The Eliminator DV needs the yellow spring or it dumps it's rear end off all the time

The Audi tech thinks it's rapid for a S3

:eek:

Going off your MAF figure, then yeah it looks like it probably is remapped. Think the rule of thumb is anything over 200 gps is remapped. On my standard S3, it has a figure of 185 on a regular basis, with the occasional 189.

The other rule of thumb is divide by 0.8 to get an approximate BHP figure. Yours works out to: 251 bhp.

Like I say its approximate, and I have no idea about where this "divide by 0.8" rule of thumb comes from.

MRC will probably be able to custom map it, so it produces more or perhaps smoother. They are supposed to be very good I believe.

AL

Don't want to drive 520 mile round trip though just to get it smoother... it's smooth enough and i want more power! :racer:
Need to find out for definate before i make a wasted journey!

Log the boost using vagcom and see what its producing. If its about 1 bar peak then it will be standard. If its anything like 1.4, 1.5 etc then it will be chipped.

As Al says, the MAF figures look a little high for a standard S3 so you may already be modified!

Hope this helps

peteA3tdi said:
can you hear the turbo screaming ? if yes its chiped

Quite difficult to judge if you haven't heard it pre-remap! The turbo is definitely louder afterwards.

It's wierd, the whole car was standard when i bought it. Had all the optional extras but everything else hadn't been touched. Just don't know as i havn't really drove any other S3's.

some 225 Leon Cupra R's have been known to flow 200g/s on a good day. Realistacly i believe that peak mass airflow overestimates power output by 10%. The conversion from g/s to bhp = g/s*1.31 which, if 10% over means your true bhp = 237. Not outside the realms of possibility without a remap. I'd say with REVO you should be getting 220g/s.

Any chance your S3 was an Audi press car?

You'd have to check the history of ownership...

What year is it, was it owned by Audi UK for the first 3 months of it's life?

Unless it's an early 1999 model or a just face-lifted one then it's unlikely. Just Audi like to spice up their press cars.

If you are making 200g/s with a boost leak then it's kinda likely it's tuned in some way.

@ DPM, I have the same dilemma. My car is 03 and came with all the extra's and was owned for its first 6 weeks by an Audi uk Director before me. Mine seems way quicker than 225TT's i've driven which I presumed would be v.similar! I've measured the boost though and it never goes above 13psi. It hammered my civic type-r also when ran back to back with my brother driving then swapping and letting me drive and everyone else says the two so similar in performance once on the move. It also has the legs on a friends focus RS. Maybe I just give it more though?

Im from newcastle too, wanna meet up and compare performance etc??? You could also re-set my airbag light with Vagcom???:beerchug:

DPM said:
There's a Y piece under the manifold and it's leaking from there. It's also the same on my mates engine. Must be a common fault i'm thinking!

Cheers. I take it you mean the inlet manifold?

Thats the problem with these engines, there's just a mass of vacuum pipes. Leaks are a nightmare to track down.

AL

DPM said:
Just got in and it's boosting at 1 bar peak, 1.1 max! I think it might just be a fast one off the production line but i'm not sure! :keule:
I'd say it was standard!

Yep Standard... Go for it then...

Get it remapped and then really start having fun!

Going down on Wednesday! :racer: Woohoo! Need engine oil and filter change, haldex oil and filter change and brake fluid change before i go though... It's going to be an expansive week! :(

I've just found that my recently installed boost gauge has been leaking. Its boosting to 20psi (peak) and holding around 17 -18 so i guess mine is mapped I rekon but perhaps with not as much boost as other maps.

Where are you going for the re-map DPM? Is there any 4WD RR's around here?