Blue-ish smoke from 1.9tdi exhaust

JamieOS

Resident Eejit
Reaction score
My 1.9tdi has been exhausting a bit of blue smoke every now and then for a while now. I'm not sure if its something to worry about. A mates car was doing the same and it was burning oil. Mines running at 90 when up to temperature, oil levels are good, everything sounds ok, but when I take off at junctions etc. I leave behind a decent cloud of blue-ish smoke sometimes, regardless of taking it easy or putting the shoe down. Its not been too long since I had it serviced with a clean out of any carbon build up, new filters and all that.

Is it just age? Its done about 156K miles. It also leaves a moderate amount of black dust on the rear bumper from the exhaust (I've got a 1.8T rear valance on it).

I've just discovered this too! Turns out the old oil burner has lived up to its name and there's f**k all oil in it. Luckily it's off the road at the moment. After changing the thermostat it's recently been running at the correct temperature. Don't know if that would cause an oil burning issue after years of running at the wrong temps? Anyways I'll top up and see what happens. Anyone know what's the best oil to use? How many litres will she take?

I would check turbo for play, blue smoke and low oil level is a giveaway sign that the seals are gone...