Cooling fan

xhale

Reaction score
Ok a common fault but just wanted to see if I could eliminate anything simple before putting my hand in my pocket for a new set of fans...

I have an intermittent issue on my 2.0 SE petrol. Sometimes when I start the car, after a short period the cooling fan ramps up to maximum. If i turn the car off and then restart, it may or may not repeat. Other times, I start the car and the fan doesn't come on.

In all cases, the fan stops when the ignition is switched off. They aren't stuck on.

The car has no issue getting up to temp and does not overheat. The car has climate control which is fully operational. Switching to ECON makes no difference to fan noise and the system is blowing cool air when demanded, so the A/C side of things seems fine.

Am I looking at a new set of fans or is there a sensor or perhaps wiring I need to check?

Did you ever resolve this problem? I've got exactly the same issue on my S3 8P which started a couple of days ago?
Cheers

Humm, looks like this is air con related, after reading pretty much everything I can find on here, it's the air con fan (the bigger one on the right while standing in front of the car) that kicks in full blast about 30 seconds after switching the air con on. If I switch the air con off, it goes off after about 20-30 seconds which seems about right. If the air con is off, the fan doesn't come on..........any ideas? Is there a sensor other than the low pressure switch (G65) in the system that could be causing this behaviour? I did a scan that didn't throw up any errors, is there a particular module I could scan that might shed more light? Cheers

Tested just using the 'econ' button to turn the air con off with the same effect, anyone got any ideas as to why the air con fan is kicking in at full blast after such a short time?

Mine does exactly the same. I've not tested the ECON mode but mine exhibits the same pattern of behaviour. So either we both have the same issue or its normal.

Hopefully somebody else will drop some reports…

Not sure it's normal as I'd have noticed it doing this over the last couple of years. It's a new behaviour.........hasn't anyone else on here experienced this and found a solution?
Cheers