Advice on my dodgy DIS

seky

Reaction score
Morning folks

Hope you're all having a great morning.

Just after a little advice. I recently purchased an S3 pre-facelift and the DIS does not work at all.

Now I know it's common for them to become pixelated, but is it common for them to stop working all together?

Also, what do you reckon my best options are for repair/replacement.

Am I better sending mine off for repair, or source a 2nd hand cluster off ebay? Also, how difficult is it to get a replacement unit coded for my car?

Thanks for the help guys

Have you tried the switch on the wiper stalk? the DIS is controlled by a rocker switch on the end and a switch underneath... pressing the one underneath turns the display on and off

<tuffty/>

Yeah, I've tried holding that down, but nothing.

It's as if it's not getting any power whatsoever, nothing on startup (the date is also showing as 1999, so something appears to have reset everything).

Very annoying, as I obviously don't have any fuel warning light!

Does the DIS have a separate fuse or anything?

I think there is an instruments fuse (maybe diagnostics) which I think if pulled/blown has this affect iirc...

<tuffty/>

I had a brief look through the fuses, but nothing obvious labelled for this.

I'll try and take it out this weekend just to check everything is seated correctly.

If it is faulty, is it pretty easy to re-code a 2nd hand cluster, and does it have to be the pre-facelift cluster, or will the facelift one fit once coded? (seems to be more of these on ebay than the pre-facelift ones)

Thanks

Facelift is immo 3 not immo 2 iirc... you would need to immo defeat the ECU I think for it to work and of course this would leave you with no immobiliser

You will need software other VCDS for coding a new cluster... something like vagtacho but not sure on mileage re-coding

<tuffty/>