Cut off for accepting New Car

Allan S

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, New here and finding the various posts very interesting indeed. Have ordered an S3 spec below in the signature which is showing in the tracker as being in QC, so should be ready for collection in 2/3 weeks I would think.

The question is when should the cut off be for accepting the new car or waiting for the 65 plate, I go on holiday on the 30th of August so could not pick the car up until the 16th of September. What kind of value loss are we talking when it comes to trade in after 3 or 5 years with a normal 10k a year mileage by not waiting.

Should I take delivery or wait ?

Whether you can delay delivey until Sept 1st (actually 16th in your case) would be completely dependant on the dealer. Some on here have certainly delayed for as long as that.
As far as secondhand value is concerned, I think the popular advice is that it makes very little difference over 3 or 5 years.
Whether you wait or not will depend on lots of issues, like what you are driving at the moment, if that is costing you anything, if it has to go back. Plus how desparate you are to get your S3.
Personally I would wait if I could.

Actually looking at the post again, if the car is still at the plant, then collection in 2/3 weeks is pretty optomistic. If it is a saloon, certainly so.

Some will say there's no difference, that as it's a 2015 reg it's all the same. But having been in that very same situation I found it to be around £500 to £600.

I'd wait if I were you.

Have done both in the past, dealer cant make you take the car as soon as it has arrived.

My 8V 2.0 TDI was at the dealers 3rd week of July but I deferred until 1st September as it would have only sat in an airport car park for three of the five weeks before 1st Sept

This time round my 8V S3 SB should be at the dealers this week (2nd week of July) and I want it ASAP as taking it on a driving holiday to France in August

Price wise the extra few weeks might make a slight difference of a couple of hundred at trade-in but you have the car for the extra time, so IMHO it does not make a lot of difference in the total cost of £30K+ (ca. 1% of purchase price maybe)

If I were you I would take the car ASAP if you can get it first week August any later then defer to 1st September

Thanks, had it in my head that if i did not get it before the end of the first week in August then i would wait, time will tell i guess.