S4 - 'D' and 'S' modes

Scott.T

Reaction score
I may be looking at a very high spec 2009 S4 Avant tomorrow and I noticed in the advert that the drive select lever only has D + - and no S mode.
The car does have ADS modes selectable on buttons below the stereo.
Is it normal to have no S mode ?

If it's got ADS modes, sports mode for gears is selected by pressing dynamic. I've got s 2009 and the gear lever only has a D and the manual mode, sports mode is via the ADS controls

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's got ADS modes, sports mode for gears is selected by pressing dynamic. I've got s 2009 and the fear lever only has a D and the manual mode, sports mode is via the ADS controls
Thanks for that info.
Does it follow then that if an advert doesn't mention ADS but the gear selector has no 'S' that it does have ADS.

I also notice that some also have a 'D/S' position instead of separate 'D' and 'S'.

ADS is on my must have list.....

Yeah, the combined D/S lever on the later box is like a sprung switch, you knock it towards you to switch between D and S, rather than a separate gate for D an S. I had the latter on my TT 6 speed S-Tronic, but the flick switch on my B8.5 is nice, really easy and quick to switch gearbox modes. That comes with the gearbox on the later models, as in that you have D/S regardless of the ADS.

Last edited:
Looks like I stand corrected. Does the D/S just knock the gearbox (but not steering/suspension/diff) into dynamic?

That's correct - gearbox and throttle response. Everything else stays as per ADS settings.

Reactions: TahirS
Here's my 2014. I don't have MMI so just had ADS button.

2014 07 16 09 38

That's correct - gearbox and throttle response. Everything else stays as per ADS settings.
& when S is engaged in ADS auto mode, the sound maker (engine sound) defaults too dynamic too :thumbs up:

Is the sound maker an induction tube into the cabin or exhaust flaps ?

Reactions: voorhees and TahirS
You can also turn the soundaktor down with VCDS if you so desire. I believe it is on 100% as factory default (at least mine was/is).

After a little research the last S4 to have flaps in the exhaust was the V8 B6 :thumbs up:

I'm suprised ADS isn't on more S4.
Looking on pistonheads and Auto trader for 2009-2011 models the ADS is a rare thing. Perhaps people prefer folding mirrors and warm butt cheeks.

Blimey, you learn somehting new every day. I'm glad I'm getting my real V8 sound.

It's a great area for debate.
The Audi system is not 'fake' like some others, in the fact that it amplifies the actual engine sound into the cabin, so real in that sense. But then it is not pure engine sound as it is electronically 'assisted'......

It's a great area for debate.
The Audi system is not 'fake' like some others, in the fact that it amplifies the actual engine sound into the cabin, so real in that sense. But then it is not pure engine sound as it is electronically 'assisted'......

So fake then? lol

Reactions: TahirS and xpoweruk
I'm suprised ADS isn't on more S4.
Looking on pistonheads and Auto trader for 2009-2011 models the ADS is a rare thing. Perhaps people prefer folding mirrors and warm butt cheeks.
Scott I saw a few cars where it wasn't listed on the advert but the car definitely had the button. I found Audi dealers were not great at accurately listing the options in the advert. There's always the codes sticker in the handbook and boot that you could check against something like http://prsearch.planetvag.com/

Scott I saw a few cars where it wasn't listed on the advert but the car definitely had the button. I found Audi dealers were not great at accurately listing the options in the advert. There's always the codes sticker in the handbook and boot that you could check against something like http://prsearch.planetvag.com/
Cheers mate. I'm zooming in on all the centre console images and your right some don't list it but do have it.
Off to look at the manual one now.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'd call it fake if it's purely a mechanical system to amplify the noise into the cabin .. you'd likely get the same noise from removing sound deadening? I'm sure Porsche do a similar thing ..

Fake, for me, would be piping an artificial noise through the speakers, I don't think the Audi system does that .. :shrug:

Hmmmm, I'm not sure I'd call it fake if it's purely a mechanical system to amplify the noise into the cabin .. you'd likely get the same noise from removing sound deadening? I'm sure Porsche do a similar thing ..

Fake, for me, would be piping an artificial noise through the speakers, I don't think the Audi system does that .. :shrug:

From what I have seen the sound'actor' is just a rattle bottled to the bulkhead. It probably gets voltage based on throttle angle input.

Its not an amplification of the actual engine noise its "an inhanced sound" according to Audi. If you watch and listen to the videos you will notice a distinct difference, if you pull fuse 5 yourselves you will also notice the difference, we did it in my mates S5 on Sunday.

The engine sounds better without the "enhanced" soundtrack IMHO, which also seems to be the general opinion both in Europe and the US.

Where's the drive select button on a facelift with Nav (i.e the one with rotary switch/controls immediately behind the gear lever).
Image above from Mr.Hound shows Drive Select, but I assume is a Non-Nav as does not have these controls.

Where's the drive select button on a facelift with Nav (i.e the one with rotary switch/controls immediately behind the gear lever).
Image above from Mr.Hound shows Drive Select, but I assume is a Non-Nav as does not have these controls.
On the models with Nav, the ADS button is just above the AC controls on the drivers side.

If ADS is not on the vehicle do you essentially have it in ADS 'Auto' mode, and it will adapt to the driving style.
Obviously you won't benefit from adaptive dampers but does throttle response, Rev holding and downshift blips occur.

Or can I VCDS it into pseudo dynamic mode.

So basically ADS just let's you fix it in one program or set a preferred individual setting ?

So basically ADS just let's you fix it in one program or set a preferred individual setting ?
Not sure exactly what you mean but on mine the button cycles through the modes Auto->Dynamic->Comfort->Efficiency . In post #13 @Bristle Hound described what they all do. If you have MMI you can set the different bits individually but I don't. Hence I just get all or nothing for that mode.