S4 Cabrio, is this the best replacement for my kit car? What do I need to know?

sailingsmith

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a kit car that probably needs to go due to us now having a 6 month old baby. I don't want to be without a fun car, I just want more seats. I'm thinking of the S4 cabrio, but want to go in with my eyes open. I have about £8K and basically want to know everything I should be aware of, looking for, considering etc.

My intial thoughts are, what are the big cost things that can go wrong, regular big service costs, are there common issues, what should be checked when viewing etc. etc. etc.?

For those who have one, what are they like to live with?

Thanks a lot, I really appreciate people taking time to give info!!

Mark

First thing you need to do is google S4 V8 cam chain problems. They will all need doing at some point and it's an engine out job, costing £2k+

The fuel economy is appalling at best so you need to be aware of that if you do any mileage. Don't expect anything above 20mpg (I average 14 in my avant, which is lighter than the cab). Tyre wear is heavy on the front and wheel alignment makes a huge difference to this so make sure its done.

I love the S4 cab, but would never call it a "fun" car. It doesn't feel anywhere near as fast as a 340 bhp car should and its way too heavy to really handle well. That said, they look good, have a lot of class and the engine sounds great.
When I was looking to buy one, I actually ended up buying a Bmw 330d convertible instead as it handled better, was faster once remapped and got 40mpg plus. But usually, you're either an Audi or BMW man. I would have an S4 cab, but only as a second (or third) car because the fuel bills alone are crippling if used for anything north of 8k miles a year. They're actually not too expensive to insure and if maintained by an Indy (not main dealer), servicing isn't too bad either.

Above reply is a very good reply

As long as you're not after a "fun" drive car then it ticks a lot of boxes

It's a very nice car but with me as well only averaging 14mpg it really was one the main running issues. I didn't want to spend any money on upgrades but it 100% needs an exhaust upgrade to release the v8 noise

It's quick enough but doesn't feel it in a lazy way.

Getting only 14 MPG is pretty poor - you must be doing short trips or in urban traffic (it doesn't do well when there's a lot of stopping and starting).

I get 18-20 MPG around town and 24+ on motorways/A-roads. Autos can get around 30.

They're heavy but the raw power and displacement makes them deceptively fast. They're quicker than 95% of other cars (especially at higher speeds) but if it's outright performance you want you're better of with a B7 RS4 or an older B5.

Have a look on Audizine where there's much more information about the timing issue. It's generally not a problem but there are usually symptoms and it is something that will need addressing as the car gets older.

I think the clutch/flywheel costs a couple of grand to do.

The A/C compressor also drives the PAS so it costs about a grand to fix (those can be expensive on many cheap cars too though).

Other than that, there's a few more minor common issues but mostly it's ensuring the previous owners have taken care of it.

Overall it's a joy to drive , especially if you upgrade the exhaust so you can hear it properly. Before I bought mine I read a few people saying they're glad they owned a V8 (rite of passage) but wouldn't buy another. I feel the opposite - I don't think I could downgrade now.

Throwing my 2 pence in..

Firstly, Im a big big fan of Audi with V8 anything and whilst I think you will have fun with it as mentioned above,

I would also consider the B7 Cabriolet 3.0TDI with your budget! With a FULL upgraded exhaust system and a remap, that thing will fly!

I never thought I would say the above as im a petrol man, but in my opinion feel you cant go wrong with this. As well as it being a lot better on fuel.

Youtube is your friend for hearing what it can potentially sound like a Turbo back exhaust upgrade!

Having said the above, if I had the money, I would choose a beastly V8 and deal with the consequences.