Grinding/screeching/scraping noise from the engine?

Y111_PJL

Reaction score
Car has recently been into Benfield to have some work done... Then off to Audi for a service.

Now when I've received the car back, there's an awful sort of grinding / scratching noise coming from the engine on full throttle. Half throttle in 4th, once the turbo kicks in seems to give rattle / scratching noise? Am I correct in thinking my turbo is broken, or on its way out?

The car never made this noise before hand, so could this be the result of someone thrashing my car from a cold start and "let's see what this customers car can do" ???

Where do I stand in terms of taking it back and getting it sorted? As the car is modified, but like I said... Never had any problems before it visited both Befield and Audi.

FED UP!

I would speak to them if it never did it before,they haven't left something in a pipe when doing work or a tool in the engine bay ?

I can't see any tools kicking about the engine bay. Would it not be caused by a worker not letting the turbo warm up and cool down properly?

Am I correct in thinking that, taking the car to Audi and asking for a full diagnostics check on the car during the dates it was in the body shop, should show when the car was driven and how it was driven? How warm the oil temp was, what revs the car was hitting, speed, etc, etc...??

As I don't have any video proof that they've thrashed may car, in terms of dash cam footage (because I don't have one, but may invest in one now!!). This may be the only way of identifying that they have drove my car to its limits when they shouldn't have!

Can I then take this info back to the body shop and demand they pay the price for a new turbo??

Have you checked the oil level, as scraping noises from inside the engine normally equals to not enough lubricant.

After having been told it's the timing belt by a few mechanic friends... I went and got the belt replaced by Audi.

Noise is still there!
Technician took it on a test drive, looked the whole engine over and even he doesn't know where the noise is coming from. Although there is no decrease in performance, just a noise.

Tried to upload a video but it won't work.

I've also noticed that the revs seem to either float about a bit when I come off the throttle up jump up?

ANYONE!? :weary:

Did you get the waterpump changed when you did the timing belt ?