boosting problems

dannyblood

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2001 (51) Audi A3 1.8T AUM engine, It's suffering with no boost, the guy i brought it off says it was plugged in and came up with a fault code f P0299, which he said was low boost, does anyone know what the problem could be to fix this?

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

16683/P0299/000665 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached
Possible Symptoms
  • Reduced Power Output
  • Limp Mode
Possible Causes
  • Hoses/Pipes incorrect connected, disconnected or leaking
  • Charger Pressure Control defective
  • Turbocharger faulty
  • Diverter Valve faulty
Possible Solutions
  • Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
  • Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control
  • Check Turbocharger
  • Check Diverter Valve

Sounds like a mahoosive boost leak somewhere... smoke test would help find it

<tuffty/>

Brilliant, thanks for that, the other thing it does is after standing a few minutes it will start to white smoke? But when you rev it there is no boost what so ever and just sounds like a flat 1.8 but the turbo does spool but no boost pressure? It'd baffling me

Hi there chaps,

New to the forum, bought an S3 8L last week, correct service history, lots of new parts, unmolested, low mileage pretty close to mint. I was driving home from work this evening, after a harder acceleration the engine warning light started flashing, the boost pressure gage was all over the place, boost wouldn't even go up to half a bar but I could here the turbo trying to boost. When I'm up to 50-60 mph and just cruse along the engine warning light would stop flashing but as soon as I try to accelerate the whole thing starts again. All of the turbo piping had been replaced recently by the previous owner because the ones the previous owner to him had put on we're the wrong one apparently and been touching the manifold and burnt a hole... so I am hoping one of them had not been done up properly and come off perhaps. Also I noticed the boost had never gone above 0.7 bar so perhaps there was a leek in one of the joints and it blew off completely now...? Any ideas lads?

Scanned for fault codes?

<tuffty/>
Not yet mate, no garage opened this time of the day... I'll check first in the morning to see if I can see any mishaps with the piping, if I can't find anything I'll take it to my garage. Shame I'm not in Cheltenham tomorrow as I could just wiz it down to Bill's for a smoke test...

Fault code scan should be top of the list along with a visual check... EPC light rarely comes on so must be a fairly serious issue... MAF problems can cause this as can throttle body and throttle pedal issues...

<tuffty/>

Let's hope it isn't mate. I'll let you know as soon as I find out.

Ps. The engine warning light does not stay on, only flashes about half a dozen times and goes off when I get off the throttle...

Had another look. Bit of a worry, there is a fair bit of oil on the right hand side of the cylinder head, also on the top of the gearbox where the linkage is, obviously where it's been collecting. Now I'm worried.

when I got a flashing eml light it was also associated with rough running - but it was a faulty coil caused by a broken spark plug. but there was no oil everywhere. when coasting it didn't flash. (next doors golf did they same - flashing EML means HARD FAULT ( I think that means it is actually happening rather than it is a historical but current fault fro a sensor)

you can get cheap Bluetooth ODB readers about a fiver and use AndroidTorque free (although the £2.69 version has Calculated Torque, WheelHP and Boost pressure too) which tells you some fault codes or buy a KKL lead and use VCDS Lite (free version) installed on a laptop to read faults - it needs a bit of setting up port wise and there is no "show me every fault" option on the free version -but the android torque tool is easy-peasy.

Thanks mate. I'll take it down to garage tomorrow and see what they say. Had a very similar coil problem on my cupra actually after it's been mapped... I'd take the coil anytime to be honest...

I think the mapping aspect of mine was the cause too, it was already mapped and when I bought the car I only put normal unleaded into it, this I think causes the fuel to pre-ignite or something and overheat the sparkplug which effectively had melted, then this caused arcing which broke the coil, so maybe if it is a coil also get the plug checked.

As far as I know the car is standard but what you are saying could be right. On the way back from picking up I did have to put in 95 as the bleeding motorway services didn't have premium, I only ever use V-pover or ultimate in my cars... I do
Hope it's inly the coil! If it is, which ones shall I go for? My garage had stitched me up big time on the cupra with them, charged me £250 for four which I know is well over the odds. Oh that included fitting (which takes 10 mins)... How kind.

Blimey even the expensive ones are £100(ish) for 4 - I thought AUDI did a recall for coils for S3 - so maybe should be free? I haven't checked myself as I bought 2 of the cheap ones when I had the issue, so have a spare one in case of emergency.

Of course, it might not be this at all.

Car is sorted lads. Cylinder no2 misfiring, faulty coil. Boost went straight up to 1 bar too, now it feels like an S3