****Car Stolen****

@lawndj2 that all depends on wether you're willing to confront the B******s and put yourself and your family at risk, personally my keys are never hidden its a car and can be easily replaced

Reactions: lawndj2
We had an attempted break in, the week before last, in Leeds. It seems they were after the keys to the S3 too. They managed to get through the conservatory doors that had old euro cylinder locks on but fortunately could get through the inner sliding door, even though it had similar locks! Not sure if they were disturbed by the dog next door!
We ended up getting new high end locks on every door (about £450!!) and I fitted this camera system last weekend. Just stuck a 1TB hard disk in that was about 40 quid for continuous recording.
Amazon product
Quality is very good, and can be viewed online via a phone. Its power over ethernet so only needs 1 cable running from the box to each camera.

I'm now ultra paranoid about the car, and have had conflicting info from the police regarding where to keep the keys. The guy next door is a copper and he said keep them upstairs, however the policewoman who came round after the event, told us to keep them downstairs.

I think the decision about where to keep your keys is a personal matter based on how you deal with the intruders.
If you want them to break in, grab the keys and drive off, without a fight or upsetting family members that is fine.
If on the other hand you want to confront them, dealing with the consequences and upset to all involved, keep them by you in bed.
I really think it a personal decision that you base on your circumstances.
Maybe then, both officers were right

Reactions: lawndj2
The thing to remember about confronting night time intruders is this, they have been awake and sussing things out for quite some time, probably.
They will be switched on and alert to anything, (they don't give a s**t).
You on the other hand, have just been wakened from your well earned slumber, may not be firing on all cylinders and will be dis-orientated. You are not going to be in the best of nick for a confrontation, so is it worth it...?
You will also find yourself in trouble if you take a shotgun or baseball bat to one of these a***holes, much as it is justified and makes the feelbetter flow.
I only ever had one intruder in my house in thirty years, I didn't apply any of the above and knocked seven colours of shiny out of him, broken ribs the lot. Felt much better but, still got lifted for my trouble...!
Good insurance cover is probably best all round.

Sympathies to the op, been through all that and it is a horrible feeling.

Reactions: A3_Rider, JordanQuattro and lawndj2
You guys need this.

31rRJK6tr%2BL.jpg

smugdog.gif
it will stop the thieves in his track. Guaranteed.

I was thinking of getting one of those stoplock devices too, but realistically you are going to keep the key with the car key aren't you? So, no real benefit if someone breaks in. . .

Not sure what to do as my car is going to or parked on my road, which hopefully will mean that a would be thief wouldn't know which house to burgle??? Unless they started casing the joint....... although there is a v nice S5 and S4 avant just down the street, which hopefully they'd fancy over mine......!

Just be warned, that lightening can strike twice. After having my car stolen, the thieves returned to nick my new car some four months later. These people aren't very bright, but they're not dumb - they got your S3 easily, so will come back for the replacement. In my case, I fitted an alarm to the house and that went off as they tried to remove the back door (that's how they gained entry to my house before). Oh, keep your keys upstairs and out of sight - mine are in a key safe and you need the combination to open that. Before anyone launches into the rant about cars and your life... it's a personal choice, so don't go telling others what to do. In my case, if they want to get my car keys again, they'll have to get past me first and I know how to defend myself :box:

Last edited:
Reactions: steeve and Blackwhite
Actually, with the last post in mind..... And hopefully touching wood, it never happens.... When you claim for insurance do they lump sum it to you, so that you can buy whatever you want as a replacement or is there some stipulation of same model?

(Sorry if it's a stupid question, I've never been in the position fortunately)

All the best to the OP and I hope it never happens again! New colour is wicked so I'm glad you get something positive from such a horrible situation. My wife and I are away a lot throughout the weekends during the year. Late March we came home to throw a few things in our travel bags ready to hit the road and my neighbour knocked. @ 06:30 that morning 2 blokes where overheard outside planning which home to do next. The detail in that conversation was shocking and they had clearly been watching for some time. Thanks to my neighbours good sense, the police, a rapidly fitted alarm (installer said most wait till after the event) and me now making sure I look the doors properly (like many, I didn't) our home is as secure as can be. My car keys are beside my bed and there they stay. Just the thought of some scummy even thinking about invading our home was rotten so I feel for you guys that have experienced it for real

As long as you're fully insured and have gap, they can keep nicking them I guess. Would be nice to get a new car every 6 months!

There aren't many S3's near me. In fact, I have only ever seen 3 of the 8V version. However, there are loads of SQ5s around, and last year there was a spate of thefts. 5 of them were stolen in the space of 8 weeks, and not one of them ever turned up again.
SQ5s are EVERYWHERE! I'm actually glad I didn't stretch myself to get one - much as I love them - there's so many around. The 8V S3 still seems uncommon in comparison!

For those who decide they are going to confront thieves if they break in, I would just say have a look at the video in this article....

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/31/polic...reaking-into-home-armed-with-shotgun-5321179/

This is exactly what happened to us, but at 3am. Gang of 4, balaclavas, crowbars, loads of noise - just relying on speed. Alarm and cctv make little difference if they are highly organised. They will be looking at getting away within 2 minutes. That's the only rule.

We had 3 locks on the front door. Smashed down in seconds.
In our case they also battered the bedroom door down and actually took the frame off the wall with the crowbar as I was keeping them out....and the keys weren't even in the bedroom. They were downstairs!

Now watch the video and decide whether these people would care in the slightest about injuring you with all this adrenalin pumping and need for speed.
And could you really defeat them all single handed? Even with a weapon?

But, try not to let it put you off getting the car you want. Otherwise these 5hits have won.

It's the first video I have seen that actually reflects what happened to me.....but I am still going to drive what I want.

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear this mate. If you want a bit of humour from a similar situation... A friend of mine has a Nissan Skyline R34 GTR (£30k's worth of car) and his brother has a Nissan Almera. Thieves broke into his house and picked up a set of Nissan keys went outside to try and steal the skyline only to realise it was the Almera keys. By that time a neighbour had come out so they had to take the Almera instead. Went for £30k's worth of car and ended up with £300's worth! Whole thing was caught on camera as he had several throughout his house and outside.

lol! 'poor thieves'

For those who decide they are going to confront thieves if they break in, I would just say have a look at the video in this article....

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/31/polic...reaking-into-home-armed-with-shotgun-5321179/

This is exactly what happened to us, but at 3am. Gang of 4, balaclavas, crowbars, loads of noise - just relying on speed. Alarm and cctv make little difference if they are highly organised. They will be looking at getting away within 2 minutes. That's the only rule.

We had 3 locks on the front door. Smashed down in seconds.
In our case they also battered the bedroom door down and actually took the frame off the wall with the crowbar as I was keeping them out....and the keys weren't even in the bedroom. They were downstairs!

Now watch the video and decide whether these people would care in the slightest about injuring you with all this adrenalin pumping and need for speed.
And could you really defeat them all single handed? Even with a weapon?

But, try not to let it put you off getting the car you want. Otherwise these 5hits have won.

It's the first video I have seen that actually reflects what happened to me.....but I am still going to drive what I want.

my oh my! that's scary. Can't belive that happened in broad day light :(

I think i'll juts get the old fashioned claw clutch and hope for the best

I think i'll juts get the old fashioned claw clutch and hope for the best

No offence mate but you do seem a tad pre-occupied with security and stolen cars having just posted the exact same thing in 3 threads.

Best advice anyone can give you is crack on and put it out of yer mind.....................no sense in worrying yourself into an early grave over something that in all probability will never happen to you :)