correct brake bleed sequence?

Reaction score
Hi can someone please share the correct brake bleeding sequence including the abs pump via vagcom please.

Will be using pressure bleeder.

S3 8l. Limbo.

Master cylinder. 2 nipples.
Remove pressure bleeder and pop cap back on.
ABS bleed as per the Vagcom procedure. If it doesnt say go/ok again just move up the blocks each time and it will run the ABS pump for 10 seconds. Ensure you have a hose going to each nipple into a pot elsewise it will go everywhere. I normally do this 2/3 times.
Pressure bleeder back on.
Offside front
Nearside front
Offside rear
Nearside rear.

This does not follow convention however is the correct sequence.

For anyone reading this. Never manually bleed these cars with your mate pumping the pedal.

Not unless you fancy near enough taking your engine out to replace the servo.

Reactions: VAG-Slag
For anyone reading this. Never manually bleed these cars with your mate pumping the pedal.

Not unless you fancy near enough taking your engine out to replace the servo.

ok, was going to have a go at this on the weekend. It's not possible without vagcom then? As was just going to manually bleed them, like on any other car i've done them on before.

ok, was going to have a go at this on the weekend. It's not possible without vagcom then? As was just going to manually bleed them, like on any other car i've done them on before.

Don't manually bleed them. Use a pressure bleed or a suction bleed. Not unless you fancy potentially destroying the seals in your brake servo. Youll need to drop the engine 6 or so inches to be able to get the servo out if it needs changing.

In most cases the ABS bleed is not necessary. Do the four bleed nipples on the calipers. 11mm and the two on top of the master cylinder both 7mm.

Reactions: Freeman_1986
Don't manually bleed them. Use a pressure bleed or a suction bleed. Not unless you fancy potentially destroying the seals in your brake servo. Youll need to drop the engine 6 or so inches to be able to get the servo out if it needs changing.

In most cases the ABS bleed is not necessary. Do the four bleed nipples on the calipers. 11mm and the two on top of the master cylinder both 7mm.

Cool. Cheers for the heads up.

sadly bleeding the brakes on these cars is known to be a nightmare
like samuealle says the seals breaking is also known

some say its a myth but ive had my servo replaced because of this :(

samuealle what do you leave open when doing an abs bleed?
not sure im reading right?

Essentially the bleed process for the abs is a series of prompts on vagcom.

Depress pedal not all the way but perhaps half and hold it there and firmly. You'll want to brace yourself properly for the next bit. then press go on the screen and it will activate the pump and tries to force the pedal back up. Do your best to hold it. Release when it says. Then it will say to open the bleed nipples on the front calipers. Do as such and press next of go on the screen. If there is no prompt after this just go up a block and it will run the pump for 10 seconds. Close the bleed nipples. Top up. Do it again 2/3 times.

some say its a myth but ive had my servo replaced because of this :(

It comes from some fairly arrogant and cavalier like mechanics whom seem to think they know more about the cars systems and components than those whom actually designed them.