Surging????

CO11K9

Reaction score
Whilst driving along very steady at say 40mph, foot still on the accelerator, my engine surges/pulses by about 100 to 200 rpm, notice it especially going up a slight hill, go down the hill and it stops!! You can feel it through the whole car, any ideas??? A6 4.2 V8 2001. Thanks Kevin

Bought a new MAF sensor, no change, but after another look, I believe it is the crankcase breather valve, it sounds like it is leaking air, so will change it Tuesday and see what happens.

Great!!! Changed the crankcase breather valve, definitely made a difference as the old one had a split and I immediately felt the car drive with more power, but the next morning my engine check light came on so I still have a gremlin in there somewhere

Had something similar to what you have described.
I had the rev fluctuation and also a very slight vibration could be felt.
It happened on a slight incline and ever so slight on the flat.
I had an idea what it was from a past experience and i was right.
If your car is automatic it could very well be the start of a failing torque converter.
The way i confirmed this with my car was to put some friction modifying additive in the auto box and the problem went away (so did the car soon after).
The stuff i put in is called "Dr Tranny" i got 2 tubes of ebay.
Sorry to have gone on a bit but i am just about to leave for the airport (2 Weeks in Egypt) with no computer.

Thankyou Alan, Can I ask did you also have the yellow engine light come up, and your symptoms are exactly what Im experiencing, was your car very sluggish in drive, I have to move it over to the manual mode to get some power torque, to get my car moving!!!!! Is that normal for the yellow engine light to come on and stay on when the torque converter is failing? And why? Thanks Kevin

Hey man i don't know if it will help but i had a bmw doing the same thing would barely move or take forever to get up to speed in auto mode. Switch to manual and wasn't perfect but hell of alot better, ended up being 02 censors.. good luck

I will take it back to Camspec in Crawley to download the code, as I am convinced it's the Torque Converter, has anyone bought and had one changed??? I know it's labour intensive, so would like a ball park figure? Thankyou for the replies

Call the dealership see what they would charge, then u should be able to find a reputable shop to do it for atleast 30% - 50% less depending on the shop

Dealership want about £1000 !!!!!!!!! So can anyone direct me elsewhere or I'm just going to keep driving until it falls apart

A refurbished torque converter cost me £500 all in.
No yellow light on my car but it was a bmw not audi.

Went to a firm in Birmingham will look it up as i can't remember the name at the moment (just back from Egypt and up 26 hours need some sleep)

A refurbished torque converter cost me £500 all in.
No yellow light on my car but it was a bmw not audi.

Went to a firm in Birmingham will look it up as i can't remember the name at the moment (just back from Egypt and up 26 hours need some sleep)
Found them.
Some good reviews some not so good but i had no problems and would go back to them.
Also i booked the job in and travelled from Anglesey and they did it in just over 4 hours and kept the coffee coming.
(mods delete the link if i am not aloud to put it in).
http://www.s-ymotors.co.uk