handling or power first??

Nicely put too....my track experience is very limited,and I can remember being one of the fastest things in a straight line,but lacking all sorts of confidence to punt it into a bend.
The pads also got fried after about 6 or 7 laps and that didn't help my confidence levels either.....seeing the speed AMD's old Golf BTTC car could carry through bends was amazing.

Yeah I remember being on track with a ttrs a couple of years ago that had probably 100bhp more than me... He flew past me on the straights then struggled to keep it on the track at the next bend. After a couple of laps his brakes were toast and literally stuck it on the grass at every corner. Dumb smuck didn't learn from that and kept on trying to blast past me. Boom down the straight, off onto the grass. Repeat.
With better brakes he wouldn't have had this problem and with better handling would have needed the brakes less anyway. Ultimately even with 50% more power than me he couldn't stay with me over a single 4 mile lap because of this. Clearly needed a bit of driver training too ;)

Reactions: S3Alex
Got to learn.

There's no point making the same mistake repeatedly.

But put the right combination of car and driver together...

I find the standard S3 brakes to be more than adequate for fast road use, with ceramic Hawk pads.
On mine I just put Eibach coils on the front an an R32 rear bar. Tightened it up nicely. Front Shocks are ok but could be a little bit firmer on compression but I reckon the car can still outdrive me.
Amazing how much quicker you can go with an advanced driving ticket under your belt too.
Bazzle the rear R32 bar is 19mm but the S3 one is 20mm is this correct? The front s3 is 22m so why would the 19mm tighten it up better than the 20mm standard s3 one?

Bazzle the rear R32 bar is 19mm but the S3 one is 20mm is this correct? The front s3 is 22m so why would the 19mm tighten it up better than the 20mm standard s3 one?

Rear S3 is 20,7 x 2,8 (278in/lbs)
MkV R32 is 21,7 x 3,0 (360 in/lbs)

Baz

Last edited:
That one 1mm larger diameter means you can just squeeze them into the original mounts with a big hammer. Removes a bit more play.
Small differences but can make feel better on a windy, wet , bumpy road.

Golf mk6 R is just slightly stiffer again. 21,7 x 3,6. as another option.

Reactions: S3 AEX
They come in differing sizes.
There is an HR thread on here somewhere.
Its not all about thickness. Spring rates, shock design , etc etc also come into the picture.

Your s3 was black and based around Plymouth right?

New s3 is a nice bright colour, won't be losing that one in a car park any time soon!

yeh that was mine.
IMG 0399
10702237 10153251398229025 7354553217470922358 n

yeh looked at black and blue ones and saw a few around so thought id go for something a bit loud lol.

loved it just had problems that were doing my head in so got rid.
got a Fabia VRS which was fun for a bit but saw sense and had to go back for an Audi again.