1.8T 163 Engine EPC light

ianpic

Reaction score
The engine EPC light seems to be coming on intermittently once the car has been running for a short while. Once the car has been turned off and then back on it all comes up 'ok'. Anyone had similar/same snag?

A follow up to the above defect, when the light comes on the idle speed increases to 1200 from a normal 750rpm?

Never had the problem on my A4 but have had issues with the EPC light on my golf. The warning light is for the drive by wire system and therefore means there is a problem with either the throttle body or the accelerator pedal. EPC stands for something like Electronic Power Control - IIRC. Could be worth checking the connects to the throttle body as this was my issue on my golf. Take the connector off and give it a good clean with aerosol brake cleaner. Also might be worth cleaning the butterfly valve in the throttle body as they get caked in carbon deposits - could be causing it to stick a bit. To do this remove the rubber hose from the intercooler and clean the valve with a cloth and solvent (again brake cleaner does the trick).

Thanks for the info. The butterfly valve was a bit dirty so I cleaned along with the connectors. Unfortunatly the light is still coming on. Also if the light comes on when the car is at idle, it stalls the engine. When it's on next I'm going to the local to stick it on the VAGCOM. Will let you know what it comes up with.

Turns out it was the cranck shaft position sensor. Local garage sorted it for £110.

Ian - glad you got it fixed. Sorry for the bum steer! Must be that the EPC light can be more than just the Drive By Wire circuit.

No worries, at least my throttle valve and sensors are clean now so may save agro in the future. Cheers for the input.