Starting from scratch

Chris926

CMG926
Reaction score
Hi everyone, new to detailing and new to the forum but have spent many an evening browsing through trying to lean as much as poss. Got my first Audi just before Xmas and have been washing once a week and toping up the protection. The paint had swirls to begin with and now feel competent enough to have a go at removal. Thinking of using X swirl, can I go straight ahead with this or do I need to remove sealants, wax first ? If so what would be the best procedure to do this ? Any help on this or if someone could point me towards a thread that I have missed would be fantastic

Before doing any detailing I'd clay the car first. To get swirls,marring or small scratches out you need all waxes and sealants off first.
Wash the car and don't dry. Use car diluted shampoo as lube instead of QD (much cheaper) and run the clay along the paintwork. Always fold it inwards.
Once all tar spots and contaminments are off polish the car. I tend to use Megs Ultimate Compond with a DA polisher.
Once polished wax or seal the paint work.
The more prep you do the better the results!
Good luck.

Before doing any detailing I'd clay the car first. To get swirls,marring or small scratches out you need all waxes and sealants off first.
Wash the car and don't dry. Use car diluted shampoo as lube instead of QD (much cheaper) and run the clay along the paintwork. Always fold it inwards.
Once all tar spots and contaminments are off polish the car. I tend to use Megs Ultimate Compond with a DA polisher.
Once polished wax or seal the paint work.
The more prep you do the better the results!
Good luck.
Thanks Scottyg, what grade pad would you recommend using with the DA polisher and the Megs UC ?

I'd start with a light to medium cut pad. If the light doesn't take it out move to the medium. The least abrasive combo to get the job done.