Bonnet re-sprayed after just 2 days of ownership!

Tony1982

Reaction score
I am now calm enough to share my spot of bad luck! I was too mad at myself to share at the time. Now it's not so raw and been rectified here it is.

So I had my brand new S3 for 2 days and went skydiving for the day, the drop zone gets locked up after a certain time every night and I stayed a bit later than normal after the days jumping to sort my rig out (I'd had an incident earlier involving a hidden peg in the ground and my canopy) and the caretaker gave me a key to let myself out when I was done. Anyway the back entrance involves a weighted swing barrier and a gate, when I was leaving I put the barrier up, unlocked the gate, opened it and then got in the car to drive out as I have done thousands of times before, as I did the barrier came down on my windscreen and bonnet! It left 3 or 4 whopping great deep scratches down the bonnet and scratched the windscreen mildly. The next day the car went into a body shop and they had it for 2 days, they said one good thing is the car is so new they could match the paint no problem at all. And I'm glad to say they have, it looks exactly as it did the day I got it. Full bonnet re spray cost me 350 euros (cheaper than my insurance excess) Then a trip to Carglass and it took them all of 5 minutes to polish out the windscreen scratch free of charge. Now on the hunt for a new canopy for my rig as I don't like the 4 inch patch now on mine! Oh and there were some very minor scratches on the left front wing but I buffed them out quite easily by myself.

I can't tell you how fuming I was and it literally has taken me until now to calm down, it happened a week ago! Glad it's all sorted though and a lesson learned!

Glad you got it sorted relatively cheaply.

Luckily I'm entitled to get things tax free and get a further discount, I think the actual cost was 500 euros.