Camshaft position sensor location

Chris6t9

Reaction score
Hi guys, cars throwing up a fault code for camshaft position sensor, and when warm car does not like to start sometimes.

Had a look around the camshaft and can't seem to find it anywhere.

it's buried well inside the engine from what I've been told, had the same issue intermittently, solved it by using high quality fuel! Whether it'll come back with a vengeance if i switch back I have no idea, prefer the way the car runs on it anyway :)

See i am always on the shell stuff so it cant be because of fuel. Mines definitely faulty, hates starting from warm sometimes so got to find it somehow! :(

Its usually located by the cambelt top pulley if its the 1.9 engine its a diy job but if its 2.0 the its a good mechanic as you got to take off the cam pulley to put the sensor on. Its a 10mm bolt and a harness connection but hear its a common problem on the 2,0 engines. If the sensor is faulty the idle will be lumpy and as the engine warms it will cut off at idle

I get a lumpy idle at start and get horrible problems in the cold but i think that may be down to another problem. Car had problems starting from warm, not all the time just sometimes, i think it may be when its started to cool down and i start the car up again. Its throwing up the fault code for the position sensor so that's where i thought i should start. Mine is the 2.0 170 tdi.

I cant find pictures anywhere on the web of where it is so i could take a look, there are two types so i don't know which one to order.

My missus just had this sensor replaced by Audi on her 2.0TDI got it done at the same time as the cambelt and water pump as these were due and only got charged for the part. It's costly if you were just going to have the sensor replaced though

We had this problem on our 2.0tdi Touran and it's a common issue, it's a good 4 hr job at a garage so you are looking at about £300 inc the part.

If you do have it done then it will be worth having he cambelt changed at the same time.

Chris did you ever get this sorted?

Did you get the lumpy idle when cold fixed ?