Temperature Sensor (Green) - Help!!!

Zeldoz

Reaction score
So my S3's temperature gauge is extremely temperamental. 90% of the time it doesn't function, maybe after 30 mins of driving it'll kick into life.

I checked the sensor and it's green, so given mine is an APY engine it's had a new one. But, can I presume this isn't functioning?

EuroCarParts wants £25 for it, and the gasket, eBay is £5. I'm just not sure if getting and fitting today warrants a £20 mark up.

Is it likely to be this? I doubt it'll be thermostat because that wouldn't effect the gauge itself.

Help??

It is most likely the temperature sensor. Probably one of the £5 ones off Ebay, some of the Chinese copies aren't much better than the dodgy original black sensors.
If you go for a Febi part from a large seller it's likely to be a genuine part of good quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variant2-Febi-Coolant-Temperature-Sender-Sensor-Unit-OE-Quality-Replacement-/291295237853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car Make:Audi|Cars Type:S3 quattro&hash=item43d28c96dd

Karl.

Okay, I'll go to EuroCarParts today, I'll pay a little more but atleast I know it'll be OEM quality.

Is there a fitting guide anywhere for it? Don't wanna get it wrong!

Its easy mate, just get all the crap outta the way the pull the clip with pliers and swap em quick so you don't lose too much coolant.

As above, open the coolant filler cap first to make sure theres no pressure in the system, then refit cap to limit the loss. If you swap them quick enough there is little lost and no need to bleed the system. Just make sure you get the old seal out with the old sensor.
Hardest bit will probably be trying to get the connector off the old sensor.
Karl.

One of the first jobs I did when I got the S3. Exactly the same issues you're having. Grabbed a genuine one from TPS. Not that expensive at all from memory. Took about 30 seconds. Instantly solved

Thanks guys, Euro had none in stock. Ordered a cheapy ebay special. Will have a go with that, if it doesnt work ill get another from Eurocarparts.

Thanks for the help! :)

Sightly hijacking this thread :p but had a look at mine the other day and someone has done a right **** job on the wiring loom ......does anyone know the part number for the "holder" (I guess its called?" so I can tidly wire it all up again...dont fancy replacing the whole loom! :O