Activated VIM....now what?....

oDUTCHYo

Reaction score
hi all,

I activated VIM when I was modding through VCDS and now running FW 783.

So, the question is, what can I use for video?
1) The iPhone 5 doesn't pick anything up, on wifi or cable...
2) Maybe the SD card, if I put some video files on?
3) how about the actual central disc drive (not that I have any DVD's anymore!)

How do you guys access? It's not for me of course, just to keep my daughter entertained on a long drive...

Thanks in advance

SD card or dvd slot will support video. The facelift model has USB ports in armrest too. Will work if you put a USB stick with video in.

What vid format Dave?

I guess I pop in the SD card in either port (Central console on mine, sat at side of the SIM) and then click on MEDIA button?

I know MP4 works.

That's right, the media button should let you choose your video source.

Good luck.

Thanks Dave - it's the next thing I'll try today!

Reactions: DaveW
Did you update to 783 or it was already running this?

There are limitations on resolution etc - described in the manual.

I updated it from 518 - in increments, not full on 518-758 :0)

I transferred some MP4 video files. They didn't play.

Is there some more info on video format or screen size etc?

Found this:

I just tried bunch of different video types and sizes on my 2011 A8L. The following video files work.

AVI, MPG, and MP4

Maximum screen size for video to work was 720 x 404 at 24, 29.97, and 30 FPS. I was also successful in playing 640 x 360resolution video at above frame rates. Frame rates of 48 and 60 FPS did not play at these resolutions. Higher resolution including 800 x 450 and 854 x 480 did not play at any frame rate.

I used the following parameters with very good results.

Video
AVC (h264) codec
Resolution of 720 x 404 (1,500 kbps) or 640 x 360(1,000 kbps)
Match frame rate to source (24 fps or 30 fps)

Audio
AAC 128 kbps
2 Channel Stereo
44.1 KHz Sampling

This resulted in files sizes of ~10 MB/min for 720 x 404 resolution and ~7.5MB/min for 640 x 360resolution.

I'll see if It works....

The manual lists the acceptable sizes/format/fps.....

Haha, didn't even think of checking the manual!! - I'm in middle of encoding a file and after a test of a small vid, seems to works great.

I used MPEG, 720x404. If anyone needs to encode, I've been using 'FREEMAKE' for ages - it's totally free and there isn't anything it can't convert!! - just google 'FREEMAKE video convert' and it will be on there

Good luck all.

I have a preset created for Handbrake, but to be honest, I hardly ever use it.

I have a preset created for Handbrake, but to be honest, I hardly ever use it.

I'll only convert Half a dozen films, TV shows etc for my daughter - just to keep her happy on trips out.

All works too, by the way :0)

hi all,

I activated VIM when I was modding through VCDS and now running FW 783.

So, the question is, what can I use for video?
1) The iPhone 5 doesn't pick anything up, on wifi or cable...
2) Maybe the SD card, if I put some video files on?
3) how about the actual central disc drive (not that I have any DVD's anymore!)

How do you guys access? It's not for me of course, just to keep my daughter entertained on a long drive...

Thanks in advance
iPhones and iPods with the 30 pin connector and the Red AMI cable will allow you to play video as long as it has been added to the device via iTunes. Also if from the iDevice you access something like BBC iPlayer and then switch the input on the MMI to video you will get the content played on the MMI screen. There are mixed reports about video with the AMI Lightening cable. I think the current latest one has a yellow collar but I donot have the cable so cannot say whether it supports video or not.

I have an iPhone 4S that I use for video with the red 30-pin cable. Works fine, within the constraints of data rate, size. No cellular on this phone, but connecting it with wifi to the Audi gets it to work.