saw tooth tyre wear

dippydayo

Reaction score
Just a quick one if any one could help my rear drivers side tyre has saw tooth wear but has 6/7 mil left and is a good tyre so to speak it is directional so am I right in think because it's on a none driven axle that this heightens the affect so should I change it to the front or passenger front so for the silly questions but any help would be great

Might be worth getting a four-wheel alignment check carried out. Oh, and punctuation is your friend. It's so much easier to read a post if it's in sentences.

Reactions: 45bvtc
I would assume that it is typical wear pattern that is experienced on some 'blocky' tread pattern designs (especially on the shoulders) on a non driven rear wheel axles. In the large proportion of driving conditions, the only significant wear that the tyre experiences is from braking, translating into the leading edge of the tyre tread block, where in contact witrh the road, wears at a higher rate. Track day hooning excepted ;) Drag a pencil rubber (remember those !?!) across a desk - the same effect.

You have answered your own question really...... If its not too noisy, or you can live with it for a while and theres no other tyre damage, move it onto the front axle, just observe the directional markers. Hopefully, with time, the wear will even up.

Gary

Thanks for the reply, punctuality has never been a strong point lol but, a note has been taken and I will to be more punctual in the future!
Just to clarify my thinking was right, in swopping back to front.
Thanks again.