Audi A3 2004- Glowplugs x4 Problem, Engine Management light ON

Steve A;bert

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am very new to this forum, I recently bought a used Audi A3 - 2.0 TDI Diesel. It has 128k miles and lately the engine management light came on, and I took it to the garage, they told me it came up with a fault code for glow-plug problems, the four of them. but they said this job takes time and they do not do these issues at their garage, hence did not give me a quote, do you guys know how much would it cost me to get them fixed? Also another issue I noticed is the coolant, it losses coolant really quick within a week or 2 week maximum. what issue would that be?

I would much appreciate your reply.

Thanks!

Glow plugs are about 10-11 pounds each. To change them the cam cover needs to come off. I'm guessing a garage may charge 40-50 for that. May be worth getting someone to check the glow plug wiring, to see if that's at fault rather than the glow plugs themselves.

As for the coolant, it could be a number of things.

Check for leaks from hoses. It could be the EGR cooler at the back of the engine which may be leaking (no way of telling from opening the bonnet, a little bit of dismantling either from top or bottom will let you see it).
Worst case scenario is the engine head is cracked and you are loosing coolant through the cracks. When you start the car from cold you may see excessive white smoke?

Thank you for your reply , yes i do see white smoke but not every time I run the car, and usually for about 2 - 4 minutes and the smoke is gone .