1.9tdi gearbox replacement

nohope

Reaction score
Hi folks, just joined for some info.
I've got a 1.9tdi year 2000 with an AVG engine and EEN gearbox. Bearings have gone in the gearbox and can't find another as quick as i need it.
I do have a DHF gearbox from an AFN engine which looks the same but can anyone tell me if it will be a straight swop.
I've done a lot of reading up today and seems they are the same but i would like to be 100% sure before i try and swop them over tomorrow.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thats what i was hoping. The gearboxes look the same from what i can tell but i don't want to offer the other one up and find out its not going to fit.
I know the clutch kits and drive shafts are the same when i checked for parts for both the gearboxes so would have though they were the same.

I know the AVG is more or less a revamped AFN so there shouldn't be a problem.
as you say its the same clutch kit and drive shafts.
the bell housing layout wasn't changed even the box that goes onto the pd lump is the same bell-housing so I don't foresee a problem it bolting up.

Reactions: nohope
I've found a bit with someone having both engines in different cars and they both have the EEN gearbox so i think its safe to say they are interchangeable.
There goes my quiet friday at work then. Fortunatly one gearbox is already in the workshop so i've only got to take mine out and put the replacement in and i've got an extra pair of hands to help so should be done in 4 hours allowing for coffee breaks lol.

not sure if this will be of interest but looks like the EEN gear box has a taller 3rd gear.

EEN 1st 35/10 2nd 35/18 3rd 37/32 4th 31/37 5th 28/41
DHF 1st 35/10 2nd 35/18 3rd 38/31 4th 31/37 5th 28/41
Final drive 37/10 for both.

Yeah I found that last night. Will hardly notice.

Well what a day. Changer the gearbox in just over 3 hours and same noise still there so not the gearbox.
There's a rumbling wheel bearing noise once i get up to 20mph which is there when driving straight or turning left but goes as soon as i start to turn right.
Thought it was a rear one at first and one off them was noisy so already done both rears a couple of days ago.
By the way it goes when turning right and staying when turning left decided it was the driver side bearing when its under load, just happened to have a spare hub with a good bearing so changed them over, ****** noise is still there.
All that's left is to change the passenger front one now which i have a spare for but still not sure its that as when the wheels are off the floor both fronts have no rumble or grinding noise.
Really at a loss and if doing the other front one don't solve it then i'm all out of ideas.

my old man is getting the same sort of thing you're talking about with his tdi avant.
him and my brother both say its the box.. hes ordered 2 outer cv joints as hes replaced the bearings. Im still thinking its the inner's.
will keep you posted on how it is when hes done the outer's

Yes used the same drive shafts. Its not a cv joint noise, its the same as a wheel bearing but only when doing more than 20mph.
Its odd...

Finally sorted it.
The gearbox I put in decided to give up so I've put the old one back in and 2 different drive shafts. Still had the same noise.
Finally decided to replace the passenger side hub and it's turned out to be the bearing.
Still made no noise when spinning it while it was on the ramp but seems it will only do it when under load.
Also noticed when I took the hub off there was a load of thin, oily grease coming out off it. Seems the bearing was dry as everything had leaked out.
Never had this problem before like this and doubt I'll ever come across it again but it's fixed and back to normal driving :)

Theres something to be said for always changing the simple consumable parts first, before diving into gearboxes and suchlike!

I had a rear bearing on my quattro like that when I got it.
could only be heard after about 30mph. there was no play or roughness when spinning it even went through its MOT like that last year.
I changed it the week after its mot and the new bearing lasted just shy of 8 month. :(

if you leave them long enough they eventually can be felt, but often when they're just at the light "wahwahwa" stage you wont feel anything.