shopping for a a3 2.0 tdi sports back 2009+what's classed as high mileage thanks guys

steve collins

Reaction score
shopping for a a3 2.0 tdi sports back 2009+what's classed as high mileage ,and after reading most threads on here are the 140 better than 170??

shopping for a a3 2.0 tdi sports back 2009+what's classed as high mileage ,and after reading most threads on here are the 140 better than 170??

I'm selling my White 2012 A3 2.0 tdi 140 Black Edition 5 door its got 58k mileage. Still under manufacturers warranty. Cat D repaired, was minor damage, no chassis or airbag, I have pictures. Repaired to a standard where you can't even tell. Immaculate condition. I want £10,650 for it. which is £3300+ cheaper than any other white 12 plate with this mileage in the country

My budget is around £9000 .....bit steep I think being cat d thow what was damage thanks

My budget is around £9000 .....bit steep I think being cat d thow what was damage thanks

Not that steep at all. I saw a black one with 70,000 cat d repaired 12 plate go for £10500. Seen this one go for £10,200 with 65k http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-A3-2...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 .

You have to look at the mileage, colour and still being under Warranty. Both cars I've told you about are Black. I'm asking for very reasonable money.

It was corner of the front bumper and headlight clip. Could have been repaired on the side of the road if the repair clip and bumper was available.

2009 plus cars will be common rail so you can ignore the stuff about the 140 being better than the 170 engine. Get whatever you can in your budget.

Is there much difference between the new engines 140 and 170

As for difference between the two, yes there is. Everyone has opinions about the two engines. I prefer the 170, best thing is to test both and decide what you prefer.

140 is better, not much in it regarding speed and doesnt suffer from the dreaded DPF problems. Also, great to remap (if that floats your boat obvs).

No brainer imho.

140 is better, not much in it regarding speed and doesnt suffer from the dreaded DPF problems. Also, great to remap (if that floats your boat obvs).

No brainer imho.

That's not true in my experience. Although it is 'only' 30BHP, there is plenty of difference in the delivery of the power from the 140 to the 170.

The 140 that I drove has the diesel nothing, nothing, everything, nothing power delivery. My 170 is much smoother than that.

Ive driven both too, didnt feel much in it, and not dogged by DPF.

Horses for courses.

Reactions: Sayam
I'm pretty sure both 140 and 170 have the DPF in 09+? Prior to that only the 170 had the DPF which is why more people opted for the 140. Most diesel cars 09+ now come with a DPF

Yep all the common rail engines have DPF regardless of BHP as far as I know.

Your gonna be lucky to find one with less than 80k on it for 9k unless it's. Low rent spec i.e. Not even sports spec.

Place in Doncaster has loads for sale, also check out Oakwood motor company and www.topcarsales.co.uk. I bought one from the latter and it was a great car. They sometimes have slightly older high milers in.

You are quite right, though its the 170 that suffers from DPF issues.

Does the 170 cr engines have the boost lag lyk the pd engine?? And dpf won't be an issue as I'll be getting the dpf delete

Mines been nowt but agro & expense since 90k miles. DPF / DMF with clutch / turbo / plastic inlet manifold with swirler flaps. Each of these is a £1k job on its own! Considering cost of each repair might be money well spent on a professional inspection?

Mines been nowt but agro & expense since 90k miles. DPF / DMF with clutch / turbo / plastic inlet manifold with swirler flaps. Each of these is a £1k job on its own! Considering cost of each repair might be money well spent on a professional inspection?
What years years yours on .....sounds lyk u have gettin a bad one that hasnt bn maintained i hav currently got a 57 reg 170 and its got 120,000.on it and i havnt had to replace any of them yet do you rally it or something?

You are quite right, though its the 170 that suffers from DPF issues.

In common rail engines both can and do suffer from DPF problems... If you don't regen it then it will block up regardless of the power of your engine

Does the 170 cr engines have the boost lag lyk the pd engine?? And dpf won't be an issue as I'll be getting the dpf delete

Nope CR 170 is smooth !

Sorry to hear that although that isn't typical of our cars, sounds like yours had a tough life.

Reactions: steve collins
I have a 09 cr170 it's got 130k on the clock and it's perfect. Never had issues, apart from when I had the fuel filter replaced and I didn't realise I had to prime the system on vcds... I just replaced both rear wheel bearings also.... But to look at it you'd think it's done half the mileage. The 140s are flatter. The later 170s are far better cars. From my experience i'd say as someone else posted buy the best you can afford and don't let mileage put you off look at its history and condition and that should tell you all you need to know.

Reactions: steve collins
Basically there is no manual way to prime the cr 170, back in the day you'd fill the reservoir with diesel and turn the key a few times and it would prime... However ours won't do that, you need to go into vcds and go to the fuel pump and there is a system prime.... This will get rid of any air in the system and pressurise it to the prefect pressure.... I had to dig deep on the Web to find any of this out its never really been covered...

In common rail engines both can and do suffer from DPF problems... If you don't regen it then it will block up regardless of the power of your engine.

Yep, its the 170 which is more prone to problems though.

What years years yours on .....sounds lyk u have gettin a bad one that hasnt bn maintained i hav currently got a 57 reg 170 and its got 120,000.on it and i havnt had to replace any of them yet do you rally it or something?
lol same, i have an 07 plate 170 at 119K miles with no problems either.

Mines on a 2008 & I bought it at 89K with a fully invoiced & stamped main dealer Audi service history. Due to agro it's not been near an Audi main dealers since except for recall on injectors. Never take it over 2000 rpm until its fully warmed up & let it idle for a minimum of a minute to cool turbo shaft bearing at end of each trip. Bitten me on **** with nothing but agro even cosseting it every trip!

Put me right off VW group stuff. When it's time for it go I'll be back to Subaru.

Last edited:
Basically there is no manual way to prime the cr 170, back in the day you'd fill the reservoir with diesel and turn the key a few times and it would prime... However ours won't do that, you need to go into vcds and go to the fuel pump and there is a system prime.... This will get rid of any air in the system and pressurise it to the prefect pressure.... I had to dig deep on the Web to find any of this out its never really been covered...

Thank you. I've never done this and it's never done anything 'bad' to my car..

I am aware there are two different types of fuel filter maybe it applies to the one I don't have? Mines the one where you take the top off with hex bolts and change the element inside. Or are they all like that?