Red light when flooring car

J4MMYz

Reaction score
Just had a drive around, was driving for a good 20 mins, got to a roundabout put it in 2nd gear and floored it going round, it accelerated fine but I noticed a red light come up at the top of the Rev counter. Didn't see what if was, I don't know if I was seeing things or not. When I got back I turned the car off and put the ignition on and the area I seen it, it's the EPC light which is yellow anyway, but nothing has been on since and I went out round the corner and did the same a few times and seen nothing. Drives fine, I wasn't sure what it was, I thought at first it could have been the TC but that's nowhere near where the light was. Hoping nothing is wrong, I don't know if I'm being paranoid or not but it seems like the engine idles quite rough now. Bit worried! Car only has 1,400 miles

Pop into your dealer and get them to plug it into the diagnostics. That should show up anything for the car computer and give you peace of mind.

This is the electronic controlled throttle.

If the ECU detects a fault in the system it will put on the EPC light. If the fault is considered serious it will stop the throttle working altogether and the engine will be limited to a 1500 rpm idle speed.

As yours only flashed it was probably just something to do with you stamping on the pedal on a roundabout

As said above only way to find out is to plug it in at the dealer. or check with VCDS.

Well I'm really not sure what I did see, something was red and didn't look like anything in particular, I didn't have enough time to see it. The EPC light is yellow (unless it goes red)

I have my interior instruments (steering wheel/climate control) flash off and back on sometimes as well, a few people had the same thing. Doubt it's related, but I might stop putting V-Power in it also see if that helps. It's fine now, as I said I don't know if I was seeing things, but wasn't sure if it was perhaps a normal/common thing to see it since there are a lot of BS things on cars nowadays..

Just to point out, the car did lose traction very slightly, went over a little bump in the road and the wheels span for a split moment, but i'm sure the TC light would've flashed, however I do know that in sprinter vans it has a yellow ! flashing, so maybe it was that. Either way, if I see it again i'll take it in but it was perhaps my imagination.

You could do a lamp test to see if that light flashes or lights up red 1st, then you can see if its your partying days coming back to you or it was an actual light coming up :p

Probably TC tbh.

Yeah, I didn't see it again afterwards - I did floor it a few times after just to try and see. When I did see it, all I did was as I straightened a little from the roundabout (went left and had it in second) I slammed it to the floor, and had a little loss of traction from the wheels since I guess I was pushing it. I didn't have the GF with me so I thought it'd be a great time to have a little fun :p Maybe it was the dashboard flashing a light trying to tell me i'm only in a 1.4 COD not an S3. Got to say the performance from the COD is great, I previously had a 1.4 Ibiza naturally aspirated and that was just slow, also a Focus 1.6 TDCI and a 1.2 Polo - So this is my first big engine and it's great ;D

If I see it again another time i'll take it in, but I hope it isn't something serious I don't expect that from a brand new car. Especially an Audi. - Am going to fill up with normal fuel now though since V-Power is just no use in it.

If you hit the rev limiter I would have thought that would illuminate the epc, other than that the tc light will flash when it is trying to prevent wheelspin. At least thats how it worked with my previous cars..

I didn't hit the rev limiter, I was at about 4k revs when I thought I seen it. I've gone nowhere near the redline I normally change at 5k