Which gaskets for AGN camcover

vexorg

Reaction score
Looks like my camcover is leaking. Does anyone know what gaskets are needed when changing the camcover gasket?

Seems like the whole inlet needs removed to access it.
Or does any one know of someone that sells gasket kits for the AGN? I've had a search and not found any

It's a regular rubber gasket, I think it should be the same as on the 1.8T engines. Should be available in every normal part store (though I would suggest the victor reinz brand). Other gaskets you could try changing while you have the cover off are the cam chain tensioner gasket and the half moon seal. They however require a bit more work and possible fiddling.

Yes for AGN it isn't as simple as the inlet manifold runs over the cam cover, thus you either disconnect it completely and remove it out of the way, or disconnect partly and get another pair of hands to hold it a little bit up. It isn't too bad of a job, but you'll probably need a new gasket if you completely remove it and possibly something more.

For silicon some say not to use any on the cam cover gasket (if you have a rubber gasket), some say use it for corners, some say use it everywhere. I've done one where I used silicon everywhere (plus a gasket) and it has been currently holding for almost a year. So I guess it's whichever way you think sounds reasonable.

Last edited:
I'm fine with the camcover part itself, done quite a few cars before (non-audi). There's oil on the top end of the cylinder head at the gearbox end.

What I'm trying to avoid is taking it to bits to fix the camcover then finding I need to go order a new gasket for some other part. The inlet is in a few parts, so not sure if you need to split the inlet or what other gaskets are needed along the way. Sort of buy the parts and do the job in one go.

What's the chain tensioner cover? is that separate to the main camcover?

I think the only new gasket you need (in addition to cam cover itself), that is if you take part of the intake mani completely out, is the throttle body gasket (between intake mani and throttle body). In addition maybe some hose/pipe clamps or etc. small things you might need to break to disconnect them (those are really nothing special usually). The inlet mani as far as I remember is in two parts, you can easily separate the larger part (that runs over the cam cover) off from the other part. That is easy and should be very straight forward once you start doing it (they connect basically in the front of the engine/car) and no new gaskets or whatever are needed to replace there. In addition I guess you need to take off the throttle body, with that I guess you might need to take off the throttle cable from the throttle body as well. When you've removed the throttle body then you can clean it as well, since it's part of the maintenance and if not cleaned regularly can start acting up.

However as I said before there is another way that you don't necessarily need to disconnect the throttle body and throttle cable etc. You only unscrew the intake mani from the rest of the engine and separate it from the front (from the other part of the mani) as I mentioned before. You might have to remove a pipe/hose or two but it should give you enough wiggle room so that you can move the intake mani a bit to the side and lift it up enough to take off the cam cover and do what you need to do. I've tried this once (due to not having a throttle body gasket at hand at that moment) and with another pair of helping hands it works.

The cam chain tensioner doesn't have a cover or well it's under the cam cover and the cam timing chain runs over it (basically the tensioner adjusts timing in addition to the belt you have). Under the tensioner itself however there are two gaskets which can often also start to leak. Changing them without special tools is a real pain in the *** but it can be done and there should be guides to that in this forum if you do a little bit searching.