A3 1.8 T Sport - 145000 miles - What's it worth?

AudiA3V5

Reaction score
Hi All,

Header kind of says it all, been considering selling up my A3, as I have found another car that I like for a half decent price.

It's an 02 plate A3, with almost 145k, Generally very good condition, nice and clean and tidy, little bit of bubbling of paint along the roof gutters starting to appear but otherwise tidy and clean inside and out.

I originally bought it as just a cheap-ish run around to last me a year whilst I found a new car, but I have enjoyed driving it. I suspected given the age etc that it might have issue when I went for the MOT, hence I had only really planned to keep a year but when I put it on for the MOT it actually only failed on a few bits.

It failed on rear disks and pads both sides, and also track rod end driver side was split. All now replaced so recently MOT'd, in fact I think it runs now until 23rd Feb 2016. Also had an advisory on the other track rod end, so I bought a set of two, but only fitted the one needed, so can throw the other part in with sale.

Still pulls really nice, my mate actually recently bought a used Octavia VRS and was rather upset that he felt mine pulled better when I like him have a drive the other day. So it is quite impressive still to drive, very smooth gears etc.

Also it has mostly always been serviced by Audi, but unfortunately the service book was lost before I bought it. I actually phoned Audi direct and they confirmed all the servicing that was done, but again as I only planned on having it a year or so, the servicing since I bought it has just been done by myself (As was the work to get the car through the MOT). So the Service light is on, but has been since I bought it. I have serviced it twice and just bought another service kit to do it again very shortly, but when I looked into the top of the engine recently it did look a little mucky, so I think I will be doing a double oil change to really try and clean it out, and will be pulling sump off to give it a good decent clean etc.

One issue I would need to make clear is the usual Cluster issues, the dials often don't work or act erratic, but I know that is a fairly easy fix, and if it means selling is easier then I may even fix this also prior to sale.

So what are peoples thoughts on what the car would be worth? With all of the above in mind?

Hopefully threads like this are ok in this area, apologies if not. I have looked for similar cars etc on Autotrader and so on but the values seem to vary wildly on there and are all over the place. So would like to get thoughts on what it is really worth if I do sell?

Thanks Tuffty,

I did already look on Auto trader etc, but as said the prices seem to vary quite wildly, some much cheaper than I paid for mine, others quite a lot more.

Can't really see a difference in the cheap to expensive, so difficult to judge. :-s

As is always the way with this kinda thing its worth what someone is prepared to pay for it... if its a clean example and can be proven to be well looked after etc you can aim for the higher end of the market price.... people will pay more for a better example of a car they are looking for... pricing a little higher gives you room to drop too...

You must have a baseline figure you are willing to accept knowing what you paid for it originally and money spent although thats not always an easy way to value a car...

Also depends on how quickly you need to get rid of the car and what you need to get to offset the cost of replacement... I often sell things cheaper than what I could get if I know that the lower price will get me close enough to where I need to be for the next purchase...

This is why that thread I linked to exists... valuing cars is subjective at best... find a few that are closest to your spec and condition and take that as a ballpark

<tuffty/>

I'd say £1500 to £2000. I was looking around recently and that seems to be the going rate. At that age and mileage, the condition is key to how much you can get.

The main worry would be the turbo at that age. I presume it's not original. That's what I like about my 1.8 non-turbo as a cheap second car, there's nothing really expensive to worry about or go wrong.

The 8P models go for too much compared to the 8L in my view.

I don't have any paperwork to suggest it's not the original turbo, but the car was always well looked after and pretty much had an Audi FSH when I bought it. Still pulls nicely too so no reason to think that it is an issue at this point in time.

It's generally in very good nick too, but ther eis one or two issues that need sorting, it has the cluster issue which I know can be fixed for max £80, also needs a service, but otherwise very decent condition, but given the issues put it up at £1050.

Still no interest yet though! lol. Will be on gumtree/autotrader etc the next day or two, as pick up the new motor tomorrow.