Goosed handbrake - Suggestions?

Oranoco

Reaction score
Website
www.passionford.com
Flipping heck. Not having much luck with the old girl at the minute as if the remap fun wasn't enough and having a broken screen the handbrake has decided to jam up. Went to move the car and let the brake off to find the handbrake hadn't released and was binding. a bit of rocking it freed up but I now have loads off slop in teh handle and have resorted to leaving it in gear and not using the handbrake at all.

I think she's having a strop as I've started too see this cute Ford Mondeo on the side.

Any recomendations as time is not on my side so may need to dump on a garage if nobody has any simple quick fixes to try.

Ahh ******. Will be taking my rear calipers next month and you could have them for free. I can't do it at the moment though :(

yep it'll be the calipers.

If you look at the arm on the caliper, you'll see that when you release the lever, the arm doesnt move back to the stop.

Mums FWD used to do it every few months. You can free it up by squirting loads of WD40 or 3in1 or similar down behind the rubber dust boot on the handbrake shaft, while working the arm back and forward.

Proper fix ofcourse is a new caliper.

Didn't realise it's a fwd!

Rear caliper rebuild thread here: http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/inside-the-rear-caliper-of-a-b5-a4.182572/

Transformed my handbrake. During the winter I tend to leave the handbrake off and in gear. Also look at the cable adjuster (located on the handbrake cable). Spray with Duck Oil penetrating release before attempting the job. After completion, lube it up with a light smear of grease.