Chances of my A4 having remote central locking?

S4_dan

Fire up the Quattro!
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
As per title, my 1996 1.8 SE only came with one fixed bladed key, no button for remote unlocking. Although it did come with a little remote fob that lights up when button pressed but nothing works on the car.

The central locking works fine on the key but in the early dark mornings its a little annoying trying to find the key hole.

How can I tell if the car is remote ready and where could I get a remote from for her? I assume it's not the flip 2/3 button remote on this age of car?

Cheers,

Dan

My '96 didnt have remote locking. AFAIK cars that early had an add-on IR system which was pretty rare.

Check the part number on the central locking pump. If it starts 4A0 its a remote pump.

Reactions: S4_dan
Look for infra red pick up on the b pillar trim.

Add an R-click kit for about 30 quid plus a few quid for some new blanks as I found nobody willing to cut the blanks provided in the kit.

The pic you posted in the other thread is indeed an oem lock for the 96. This is per my original manual that came with my car. I'll upload some pics in a bit, my car came with one as well, but I don't have it

a31df139170d71fbc36f24df7887f996.jpg
83680a6af23db3c23c3448f50adcf882.jpg