Shockers (Again)

barkclark

Reaction score
Looking up shockers for my 1.9tdi Sport Avant. Who does genuine shocks? Monroe? Sachs?

Typed my reg into ECP and Sachs came up but it says for standard suspension?! I just want to order the right parts that'll last and I can fit my B5 perches to!

Would go to Audi but as we know they are expensive!

Any input greatly appreciated! Thanks

Have you tried TPS?

I think both companies have produced for Audi/VW over the years so should be fine with either to be honest

Reactions: barkclark
Cool, one problem seems to be that the listed sachs shocks are 'for standard chassis' whereas my car is a sport. So I don't think they are the correct ones? Where's ruffrida? Surely he can shed some light on ECP? Haha

SACHS 311 017

Shock Absorber
  • Fitting Position : Front Axle
  • for vehicles with standard chassis
  • from axle load : 819 kg
  • Reinforced Version
  • Twin-Tube
  • Gas Pressure
  • Bottom Fork, Top pin

2 SACHS 558 297

Shock Absorber
  • for vehicles with sports suspension
  • from axle load : 824 kg
  • Top pin, Bottom Fork
  • Gas Pressure
  • Twin-Tube
3 SACHS 558 301
Shock Absorber

• from axle load : 819 kg
  • Top pin, Bottom Fork
  • Gas Pressure
  • Twin-Tube

4 SACHS 312 783
Shock Absorber

• Fitting Position : Rear Axle
  • Twin-Tube
  • Gas Pressure
  • Top pin, Bottom eye

5 SACHS 312 784
Shock Absorber

• Fitting Position : Rear Axle
  • for vehicles with sports suspension
  • Twin-Tube
  • Gas Pressure
  • Top pin, Bottom eye

Above are the part number from the Sachs site for an Avant 1.9TDI AWX/AVF front and rear shocks

#5 and #2 are for the Sport setup

I've found a few websites that match up with the sachs part numbers. Looking at roughly £250. ECP is just a bit vague without part numbers.

Can anyone confirm if b5 perches fit on Sachs shocks? Would anyone recommend Sachs over Monroe or vice versa?

Last edited:
Surely when these b5 perches are fitted you are effectively disturbing the set-up. Ok it looks cool being lower at the front but all the work the manufacturer did getting the set-up and stance just right is then undone.
Why not just buy a complete suspension kit already lowered to the spec you are looking for.
There is no way I could fit b5 perches now. The front end would be catching everywhere!

They work great the perches on my car and had no problems at all with the standard sport suspension and not extreme..........just gets the front to match the rear in terms of tyre/arch gap, which bugged me from day one.

Handling wise has not changed at all and everything was aligned and checked with no unexpected tyre wear, so quite confident with the setup

Last edited:
It's bugging me!! I've recently read that sachs did or used to make shocks for eibach? Don't know if it's complete rubbish or not. But people seem to think sachs shocks paired up with eibach springs is a good set up. Can't find that thread now haha

Eibach springs usually are a good match with standard/sport shocks and always used them if you do not lower more than 30mm.

The best setup I have ever had on a car was Weitec GT shocks with Eibach 30mm springs..........handling was great and the ride was not harsh at all

ed888a788e0bc34fe89328d1d5403749.jpg

Going to take the plunge with these possibly. On this website the top ones have the relevant part number: 312 784, but they list it as standard chassis but sachs website list it as sports as mentioned previously above. Should be fine to order them?

I would trust the Sachs website for part numbers, then just make sure they match the ones you order

Wanapart.co.uk who seem pretty well regarded on the VW T4 forum after a quick Google.

To anyone that is interested the Sachs shocks I ordered fit the b5 perches with no problems :)

57d6910b2f4937486e99abfbacfe96fa.jpg