A3 Short Shifter Options

CabbageGT

Reaction score
I'm wanting to sort out my sloppy gear shifter, replace bushes, adjust and generally improve on what I have. It was only 2 months ago that the plastic carrier/ shifter on my 5speed 1.8l box decided it'd had enough, and so I replaced it and adjusted the linkage. I'm now having to adjust it again and 1st and 2nd gear are becoming difficult to engage.

I've had a good look through past threads and found some useful advice on short shifters which is something I'm interested in. to be fair, the throw on the standard linkage is a bit excessive.

my concern is that most comments directed me towards a DieselGeek 5 Speed MK4 shifter. having looked at a quick video and understanding the requirements, Its not the same mechanism as whats on my box.
In the below link there are 3 different linkages discussed. I have the 1st. MK3?? (what I guessed was a Golf reference, expecting it to be MK4)

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/how-to-adjust-your-vw-and-audi-manual-shifter-cables/

Looking at the differences, but also taking into account that the Short shifter Kit requires the removal of the OEM linkage arms/ joints, Its looking possible that the MK3 is compatible with the MK4 hardware. can anybody confirm this?

Are there other short Shifters that come highly recommended by anyone here with the same setup as I have linkage-wise.

lastly. Im getting the impression that Front/Back movement is shortened by a lever design change (inside the car), and Left/Right is altered at the gearbox with a change of bracket/lever. there is no single piece that can be installed to shorten both movements.

(p.s. I found that the MK3 linkage has no locking device for adjustment)

I made my own as I have the same gear shifter it's ***** lol abit of help from prawn and you simply have to drill another hole in your existing shifter linkage closer to the centre and voila well sort of lol

The fact its made of plastic doesn't really help matters, I've seen a stainless replacement which has the anchor point lower down.. pictured below
305__20449.1398475013.1280.1280.jpg

I may copy that and see how it feels, I can't see that Ill have too much difficulty fabricating something, just depends on the size/thickness of the pegs. Looking at the Image, I can imagine it will have a shorter throw left to right?!!
Do you have a picture of your modification? or a page number from Prawns thread?

If you ask me the only real short shift option for the A3 is the B&M kit... The standard linkage is fine, it's the gear stick it's self that's the weak link IMO.

Also the black one looks so OEM plus (shoddy pics, sorry!):

Not the cheapest bit of kit mind, but there are plenty of cheaper copies on the market as well:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VOLKSWAGE...Model:Golf|Plat_Gen:MK+IV&hash=item2a29d26e76

Also, this type of kit converts from "push down" reverse to "pull up" which reduces the chances of missing second in that notchy bit where reverse is and gives the stick a more solid feel specially when you're being a bit aggressive perhaps! :racer:

I've forked out for two of these kits over the years (2 different cars), honestly one of my favourite mods... Well worth the money!

My bad, just read the OP and realised my post is pretty much not relevant to you...

Still, I know there is a B&M kit also available for the mk3. . .Maybe that could be worth a look in if it's the same?

Reactions: Mrharris2
I think it's best to go by gearbox code, I can't seem to establish what cars at what years have which linkage type. Both passat and bora seam to share my linkage type to a degree. How do I check my gearbox code? Where's the ID tag?

I think it's best to go by gearbox code, I can't seem to establish what cars at what years have which linkage type. Both passat and bora seam to share my linkage type to a degree. How do I check my gearbox code? Where's the ID tag?

Right, I've had a think about this and I've decided I was right the first time. . . Regardless of gearbox all 8L/mk4 gear sticks are the same so I still maintain that a B&M kit (or similar) is the best way to short shift.

Also this will deal with left/right as well as front/back, hence solving that issue as well! . . . Thank me later :icon thumright:

Haha, liking the confidence... Only one thing makes me think otherwise, though it may not matter either way,
All the other gear sticks aside from the one I own with my plastic adjustable linkage, all have a locking mechanism both on the box and the stick. I don't have one of those :(. Could there be any other differences?. Maybe next weekend I'll take the stick out and photograph it, could you recognise it if I posted a piccy?

I think you can find the gearbox code also in the boot where the spare wheel is on the sticker which has the colour code, and a bunch of factory additional/optional equipment codes as well as the engine code (if the sticker hasn't gone missing of course). Unless the gearbox has been changed of course. My AGN engined A3 (1997) sticker says CZM as the transmission code.

I have the same linkage mechanism on mine. The 2nd gear doesn't want to go in very well when the car is cold, also it doesn't want to go into 1st very well when the car is already moving. With other gears it works as new. Have a gearbox oil change and dogbone mount bush replacement on my to-do list, hope those will help with the problems. Also the gear lever seems a little bit different on ours than the mk4 ones, so I'm fairly sure that the aforementioned kit won't apply.

Ours (02A box? Gearshift lever part nr: 1J0711112B):
711220.png

The other ones' (02J box? Gearshift lever part nr: 1J0711112E):
711300.png

Last edited:
Hmmm, I didn't see all this till today, Cheers for the info

Looking at it, there is a huge difference between mechs, there's no doubt that the above kit would NOT be suitable.

I've been thinking about changing box, and going for a 6 speed to help with the high reving at speed. Wondering if it would be worth changing the whole linkage at the same time as some to the connection would need changing anyhow.

If like me your struggling with 1st and 2nd engagement, try altering #48/49/50. you'll see that #49 has a slotted hole, slacken off #48 a turn and slide #50 1mm back towards the bulkhead. retighten and test all gears. keep adjusting until you find the sweet spot. If it gets worse then move it forwards a touch.

Lastly I just mention that I ended up fabricating my own side to side short shift... doesn't affect front to back throw. It works great and there's added strength in case I'm ever in need of reverse at Morrison's. I put piccys up on my project thread.
Because of the lesser movement from left to right, it feels like I'm always selecting 3rd and 4th. a quick tip to test the position of the shifter is to select gear inside the car, then put it back into neutral at the gearbox using the counter weight. If it bobs up or down then you know its engaging the full range. I had to do this several times as the first fitment needed adjustment as 1st was 3rd and 3rd was 3rd. Its now feeling quite snug.

Cheers mate! Might give the linkage adjustment a try if the oil change doesn't help. Oil change is mandatory for me since during the winter the gearbox feels as the oil is all sludged up and everything is really stiff until the car warms up, plus the gears tend to go in easier once the car is warm.

I've always thought that when minimizing the side-to-side throw then I all the time run the risk of accidentally putting in the wrong gear i.e. 1st instead of 3rd. Well I guess once you get used to it, you won't miss any gears anymore of course.

Hmmm, I didn't see all this till today, Cheers for the info

Looking at it, there is a huge difference between mechs, there's no doubt that the above kit would NOT be suitable.

Yea sh*t :culpability: I completely retract my bold and inaccurate statement :flush: My bad!

I still stand by the fact B&M is the best way to short shift where it's available though! . .

The very early 02J boxes had an 02A style shifter.
These are utterly **** and the best thing you can do it bin it! And fit the later style 02J shifter, cables, and shift tower on the box.

Its a cheap, but fairly involved job, but it's SO worthwhile.