A3 clutch issues

rick28

Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking for some opinions from those who have experienced issues with their clutch over the years, or who just know what they are talking about, unlike myself.. :)

I have an A3 8P 2004 model with 150k on the clock. I bought this with 45k on the clock in 2007 so as far as I am aware, its never had anything done to the clutch.

Over the past year, starting back in around Feb 2014, I started to experience issues with the clutch. The issues went away as the weather went warmer although that maybe just a coincidence, but they have come back from November 2014 and are ongoing.

The symtoms are:

Clutch pedal frequently feels like it is being sucked to the floor when pressed and I have to pull it back up with my foot and pump it a few times otherwise I am unable to change gear and have to coast for a while which I work the pedal. Sometimes it takes longer than others. This as you can imagine is quite annoying at junctions.

The clutch bite point is also extremely low towards the floor when I am having these issues.

Sometimes the clutch operates fine, decent bite point and easy gear changes, but then a few miles later it will start to be sucked in again as its pressed. Its worse when coming off the motorway and onto a slip road.

The clutch does not appear to be exhibiting the symptoms of slipping, revs dive if a I put the car in 5th at low speed etc.

Took the car into a garage the other week and typically it was working fine that day so I have had the brake/clutch fluid replaced as it was a cheap thing to try but no joy.

Before I take it back to the garage, I am looking for some opinions on if this sounds like a specific part of the clutch system or if I will just have to have the whole lot, clutch, slave, master, flywheel all replaced which I am sure will cost a lot of money for a car that is probably only worth £1500-£2000 now on trade in.

Any opinions would be welcome

Thanks

Rick

at that mileage id say replace the whole thing clutch kit and flywheel.

not sure on price on a standard clutch but I bought a high performance clutch kit and standard flywheel for £700.00 and probs looking £150 ish to fit ..
so be cheaper for a standard clutch

I was tempted to possibly get the master cylinder at the pedal replaced first as it appears to only be around £50 for the part. Not sure on labour involved in replacing just that part though.. Any ideas? If that doesn't work then I will have to go for the slave cylinder and whilst they are at it, the full clutch and flywheel can also be replaced. ££££££

You could have 2 problems

The pedal hitting the floor will be the master cylinder, at that mileage I would be surprised if the spring in the pressure plate are just tired,

If you have a clutch and flywheel fitted you would do the slave anyway it's internal,

The clutch and flywheel fitted would be around the £600 mark and master I would only fit a genuine one part is £80-90 and 2 hours labour and some brake fluid