S3 Discs Sizes & Pads

V8Guzzler

Reaction score
Hi all
Just for future reference, can someone please confirm what diameter discs are needed front and rear on the S3
Also which are the best value along with the pads... There seems to be so many choices...
Cheers
R

Front Discs 345mm

Rear Discs 310mm Vented.

Standard pads are good enough for most of us I'd have thought without upgrading the brakes completely. Depends on how you thrash it. Track days etc.

I put Ferrodo pads in the front, work well. But personally can't tell the difference from normal.

Reactions: grchmason
Thanks mate. What about the discs... I have found Pagid, Eicher, Brembo, Bosch, Zimmerman and prices for the fronts range from c£28 to c£60 per side!! What's recommended?

Have you priced up pads from audi/vw? My local dealer in Elgin ( vw) can be surprisingly competitive when they want to be.
My rear pads on.my sport back were a nightmare due to stuck piston

Have you priced up pads from audi/vw? My local dealer in Elgin ( vw) can be surprisingly competitive when they want to be.
My rear pads on.my sport back were a nightmare due to stuck piston

OE isnt much more than aftermarket tbh, we have OE discs and pads on the shelf

Lol I know what OE means ;-)

Thanks Phil.. I think they are a similar price to Brembo. Can get Brembo Front discs and pads for £160...

Reactions: phil miller
What about the discs... I have found Pagid, Eicher, Brembo, Bosch, Zimmerman and prices for the fronts range from c£28 to c£60 per side!! What's recommended?

I've got Pagid discs and pads on the front, would highly recommend them.

OE isnt much more than aftermarket tbh, we have OE discs and pads on the shelf

Think I paid about £10 more per disc from the dealer when I did my rears.

We have Brembo discs on the TDI Quattro and pagid on the S3 both running ferodo pads.

The only thing i would say is that the Brembo discs have coroded on the shoulders whereas the Pagids havent and still look sweet inside the wheel. In terms of stopping potential both more than up to the job as with all cars the limiting factor it the adhesion between the tyre and the road.

I put the Brembos on first and thought they would be a quality product and they are but not asthetically after some miles. If future it is going to be Pagid discs on both!

Hope this helps

Chilly

Reactions: V8Guzzler
Look at ebc discs and pads, for an s3 I'd use yellowstuff pads. I've used them on my cupra before my audi and can't recommend them enough for performance and quality vs price :)

Forgot about them. Rear pads have less than 3k miles and there is a lip on the discs so have just ordered OE replacements £100 from EBC direct. The fronts were changed April 14 (Pagid) and since then the run out was checked in Sept 14 after they had only covered 3000 miles. They were within the 0.03mm tolerances. Today at motorway speeds (ish) under light to medium braking there was a fairly bad wobble. Not sure if it's the discs (high spots) or something else like a tie rod end???

The fronts were changed April 14 (Pagid) and since then the run out was checked in Sept 14 after they had only covered 3000 miles. They were within the 0.03mm tolerances. Today at motorway speeds (ish) under light to medium braking there was a fairly bad wobble. Not sure if it's the discs (high spots) or something else like a tie rod end???

I had this not long after I got my car. I cured it by performing a few high speed braking cycles from 60 to 5mph.

Yep, did that yesterday on the motorway although, not right down to 5mph... More like 90 to 60 - ill try again today, and see what happens... When I get the rears fitted, ill get the garage to check the linkages on the front

Having just put a pair of these MTEC discs on the rear of my RS3 I now have this pair of new and unused 310mm brake discs available: I'll be listing 'em in the ASN Classifieds later today:
P1020070x

Looking like this on the rear of an RS3:

P1020065xx

Suitable of both 8P and 8V S3 cars I'll be including a set of <1500mile REDSTUFF pads too

Dont take this the wrong way, but they look like they are both n/s discs - the drilled holes are both facing the same way, not opposing as they should. The fitted one above looks like its one the wrong side? Correct me if I am wrong, but on my M5 you have to buy a l/h and r/h due to the direction of the drilled holes?? Is this not the case with Audi?

Reactions: 45bvtc
Dont take this the wrong way, but they look like they are both n/s discs - the drilled holes are both facing the same way, not opposing as they should. The fitted one above looks like its one the wrong side? Correct me if I am wrong, but on my M5 you have to buy a l/h and r/h due to the direction of the drilled holes?? Is this not the case with Audi?

Take a good look at the TTRS and RS3, V8Guzzler: they use the 'same' drilling arrangement so one side has top-hole leading and the other side has bottom-hole leading: does it matter, I don't know, but someone in GmbH might know.

Be that as it may these MTEC discs ars super quality and for my money have a 100% better rust protection that the OE items and are now on the back of my own Audi RS3 with a new set of REDSTUFF brake pads - Audi still undertaking caliper/disc/pad updates to satisfy owners of the RS3 and TTRS.

But you're right; I selected from 2-sets of these discs to marry with my RS3: I don't believe S3 owners have the same issue...

Exactly, so the pair pictured above are not a matching pair.. Both have the bottom hole leading... ;)

Like I said, go check the Audi RS3 and/or TTRS...

I do have an Audi RS3, mine from new, and mine for a long time yet...

this was the only thread I could find regarding rear S3 calipers.

when looking at replacement pads (going for ferodo or mintex) i get 2 options for the rear. one for Bosch calipers and one for Lucas/TRW calipers. Is it easy to tell which calipers my S3 has from looking at them?

Cheers

links to both types:
www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/brake-pads/car/audi/s3/2008/2-0-turbo/ferodo-competition-ds2500-rear-brake-pads-rear-pad-set-bosch-caliper

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...-brake-pads-rear-pad-set-lucas-or-trw-caliper

this was the only thread I could find regarding rear S3 calipers.

when looking at replacement pads (going for ferodo or mintex) i get 2 options for the rear. one for Bosch calipers and one for Lucas/TRW calipers. Is it easy to tell which calipers my S3 has from looking at them?

Cheers

links to both types:
www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/performance/brake-pads/car/audi/s3/2008/2-0-turbo/ferodo-competition-ds2500-rear-brake-pads-rear-pad-set-bosch-caliper

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/perfo...-brake-pads-rear-pad-set-lucas-or-trw-caliper

PM reg - i'll sort.

I've just gone with ebc ultimax dimpled and grooved discs and redstuff pads,performance is great,no noise whatsoever and minimal brake dust which was my biggest bugbear.

Hey guys, in need of replacing front brake discs & pads.. Not sure what would be appropriate with the wheels that are on the car. Booked in the garage, but thought I'd have a look for the parts myself, any advice on what to look for would be appreciated.

Thanks
Taz

Providing they are the original size discs/callipers on your car, pm @mjr901 and he'll know what you need. Other than that the only sure way to buy the correct size is remove a front and rear wheel and measure the diameter of each disc.

Reactions: mjr901
Yup, simply pm your vehicle details and i'll see what I can do for you :)

Cheers

Mike