Slow wipers

Chriscooke

Clueless!
Reaction score
Website
www.sxoc.com
The wipers on my tqs seem to of slowed to a snails pace even when on full fast.

It has seemed to of got worse since the temps have dropped but it's been happening for a while.

I haven't used the wipers to clear an icy/snowy screen so no extra strain has been placed on the linkage/motors.

Any suggestions as I don't really know where to start.

Thanks.

Before you start messing, is the screen clean and/or have you recently put cheap blades on?
Mine used to do this if the car was dirty, especially with cheap blades, eg vistapro from carparts4less!
Do they seem to move at normal pace when the arms not in contact with screen?
Dave

Cheers guys, the car needs a wash so will try it with the wipers off the screen first. The wipers are good quality aero wipers.

Cheers for the link :)

Turns out my linkage is fubar, one of the arms was 100% seized and upon removal it became clear the bushes inside had fused themselves to the shaft.

Is anyone breaking a b5?

Linkages are £35 from eBay. I took mine out too to check it after replying to this thread, wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be and luckily mine wasn't too badly seized.

Got a linkage including motor from a passat for £20 delivered.

The linkage was identical (checked the part numbers) but the motors are different. The passat motor doesn't work on intermittent or normal speed.

Turns out setting the wipers up from scratch getting the correct sweep and park position is a ball ache...