Damaged, non locking fuel flap

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
Just noticed that the fuel tank door flap is not fully closing. Was ok until last refuel this morning.

The flap locks but does not sit flush. Have attached a couple of pics.

Is there an easy fix or is this a return to dealer job

IMG 2036 IMG 2037

First thing I thought was has someone tried to syphon your fuel? I don't know if the mechanism is adjustable or not but I would think any dealership would be able to help...

First thing I thought was has someone tried to syphon your fuel? I don't know if the mechanism is adjustable or not but I would think any dealership would be able to help...

I am sure the tank has not been tampered with, went straight from filling station to Tesco car park popped in a few things then straight home and noticed it as I locked the car when I parked on the drive

Looks a bit gritty around the edges.
Wipe it down and see if it sits flush and then locks.

Alternatively, did you open the flap a little enthusiastically this morning and "bent" the mechanism back too far maybe ??

Don't think it's been tampered with - no marks / scratches.

I had a similar problem with my daughters 61 plateFiesta not long after we bought the car (new) - upon inspection the rod/button it pushes against when you push the flap shut was a bit dry and was pushing back into the bodywork far enough making it sit a bit proud - quick spray and wipe around with some WD40 and its been fine since. Not sure if yours may be the same?

No marks or scratches and still a full tank of fuel....trip to the local garage tomorrow I think and if that fails dealer over Xmas unless anyone else has any ideas

Ok, had another look, mechanism pushs flush but does not click and reengage into the recess on the inside of the flap. So might be just an alignment issue resolved with the right tool to adjust the position of the reengagenent feature.

B8 Audi A4's have a huge problem with the solenoid that keeps the petrol flap shut not working

Would visit your local Audi dealers for a solenoid replacement under warranty

& here's me thinking Audi had fixed the problem ...

Reactions: Daveotto
However, even if it has a solenoid that locks the fuel flap, and I will test mine when the rain dies down because you've linked to an 8p, when you close the flap it uses a simple mechanism to keep it closed. The op made no mention of the flap not locking but it doesn't fully shut. Personally I think having a flimsy piece of plastic locking is unnecessary...

Last edited:
Ok for clarity....flap fully shuts but does not lock so sits proud as lock mechanism does not engage...currently being held by some strategically placed blutak

I think there is a solenoid valve in there not working as it usually engages when you lock the car and disengages when you unlock it so sure that is not purely mechanical system.

Anyway booked in with dealer for early January when they will also look at knocking offside wiper blade and replace damaged dipstick, and retrieve the bottom part from the sump where it has been siting for the last 9 months...lol

hoping for a nice SQ5 courtesy car for the couple of days its in.

Yes mine locks with the doors, surprised at that however I am sure it'll reassure some...

Ok for clarity....flap fully shuts but does not lock so sits proud as lock mechanism does not engage...currently being held by some strategically placed blutak

I think there is a solenoid valve in there not working as it usually engages when you lock the car and disengages when you unlock it so sure that is not purely mechanical system.

Anyway booked in with dealer for early January when they will also look at knocking offside wiper blade and replace damaged dipstick, and retrieve the bottom part from the sump where it has been siting for the last 9 months...lol

hoping for a nice SQ5 courtesy car for the couple of days its in.

Faulty actuator mechanism and locking pin replaced under warranty today and other minor niggles rectified and a software update. Dropped off at 8.00am and ready for collection at just after 2.00 pm washed and vacuumed.

Great service from Hatfield Audi despite the foul weather and a list of cars in for service work as long as my arm.

Only minus point they did not deliver on the SQ5 courtesy car, but the weather was rubbish and I got my pride and joy back in under a day.