Petronas Syntium 5000 AV 5w30

Zafi

Reaction score
It was recommended the other week on this forum as the base oil is better than Mobil1, Castrol etc and the sports personality of the year uses it in his company car!

So I phoned around and can get 4 x 5 litres for £96 including delivery and VAT :)

I always take my own oil to the dealers as they charge £60 or more for the oil. I also drop it myself between services.

I read in the latest Audi Driver or Audi "house mag" that Audi is currently "pushing" Mobil 1 ESP - and that comment suited me! Maybe the latest cars are being fitted with "Mobil1" and not "Castrol" filler caps??!! Of course Audi's choice will not have been influenced by the price they pay for oil, will it??

Actually I was wrong, it was ABT that was singing the praises of Mobil1 ESP, though they are one of the leading Audi and VW engine tuning houses.

On the matter of needing good "base oil" - I could be wrong, but that was a bit important back in the old days when engine oil was just tidied up stuff from under the ground, with a few extras added, nowadays, fully synthetic oils are synthisised (sp) from petroleum derived chemical compounds, so they start as "nothing" so no "base oil". In the old days, there was a story going round that Castrol was the only oil company that used "fresh" oil for its base, all others were said to use cleaned up used oils.

I used to use Mobil1, but now I have 20 litres of Petronas I will be using that for a while.

If it picks up on the cams and nips up I'll report back ;)