New 2015 RS3!!!

New future buyer here, but I will wait to RS3 sedan/saloon version when (hopefully) appears later this year.
I had a S3 sedan and I love that size, design and rear and side view. Seems a higher segment car (closer to the A4 / A5 / A6 than A1 / A3).

2my7y2x.png

Most interesting to me is that this reads almost identically to the original RS3 reviews, implying that whilst the new model is better it's incremental, not revolutionary.

This isn't a huge surprise to me. Audi know their audience, and don't want to upset them. They could go chasing the BMW M3/135iM crowd with a lairy **** hanging monster, but why compete when you have your own fans who are lapping up your product anyway.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/audi/audi-rs3-review/31977
Agree with both dbm and jose. Glad I bought a 911 now!

its very worrying about the ride comments, it sounds like they have made it as boring to drive as the A45 AMG or M235i :(

And the crappy dynamic steering, which is truly awful in the RS4

Disappointing with all the press PR about drift mode and sliding its just as font end borked as our cars

Need to drive one to make my own mind up

Disappointing with all the press PR about drift mode and sliding its just as font end borked as our cars

I'm really surprised they locked the ESP on for the track sessions. Surely they would want the journo's to experience this apparent drift capability! I expect it is possible, if ESP is full off and you drive hard enough. I managed to get my SQ5 sideways on roundabouts, so I'm not afraid to give it a try in an RS3!

I'm really surprised they locked the ESP on for the track sessions. Surely they would want the journo's to experience this apparent drift capability! I expect it is possible, if ESP is full off and you drive hard enough. I managed to get my SQ5 sideways on roundabouts, so I'm not afraid to give it a try in an RS3!

one of the PH team commented that this was standard on audi Jurno events

it probably disables the electronic diff and torque vectoring anyway, so would be a pointless thing to do

I always presumed the torque vectoring and EDIFF would stay on, and it would just stop grabbing brakes and killing power...

The Top Gear write up seems a little more complementary.

The '100% torque to the rear' meme refuses to die. The only way this can happen is if the front wheels are on ice and the rear on tarmac. How often will that happen?

The Top Gear write up seems a little more complementary.

The '100% torque to the rear' meme refuses to die. The only way this can happen is if the front wheels are on ice and the rear on tarmac. How often will that happen?
Yea I think the key is the use of the words 'up to' and 'capable of' - doesn't mean it's going to do it very often!

certainly reinforces the need to test drive this car before committing to an order - for me anyway.

I now want to feel for myself what the suspension is like - if it is too firm, then mag ride may have to be ticked on the options list - hopefully it will be acceptable though.

Change my C63 amg coupe end of this year, RS3 was top of the short list. Love the RS3 performance and the sound but iam disappointed with the looks, wheels are an old design and look dated in my opinion. Really disappointed be waiting ages for the new RS3 to come out. Reviews on the handling are not great, no steering feel, busy ride. Shame i am probably a target customer for the RS3 but i think a Golf R wih Revo chip will do the job, 10k cheaper, just as fast and a better car to drive ok not the badge and the great noise but i can live with that. or the 135i m sport.

iam disappointed too. Although it is still early and we need to see more evidence, RS3 doesn't seem to be a big step over S3 or other 2.0TFSI options like Golf R (some reviewers says not only price but driving experience is better with Golf!!).

I wanted a RS3, but for me there are more disadvantages than advantages. I think S3 sedan Full + future upgrade with 360-380cv repro & exhaust can make the trick, and will look for next RS model in a few years.

Yea I think the key is the use of the words 'up to' and 'capable of' - doesn't mean it's going to do it very often!

Sure, but I guess my point is this is the Marketing team writing cheques the Engineering team can't really deliver. With a Haldex unit as configured on VAG cars you are always going to get a FWD driving style, just with the limits of performance pushed way up. The marketing spiel implies you can power slide the car, and you just can't 99% of the time.

iam disappointed too. Although it is still early and we need to see more evidence, RS3 doesn't seem to be a big step over S3 or other 2.0TFSI options like Golf R (some reviewers says not only price but driving experience is better with Golf!!).

I wanted a RS3, but for me there are more disadvantages than advantages. I think S3 sedan Full + future upgrade with 360-380cv repro & exhaust can make the trick, and will look for next RS model in a few years.

The same thing happened with the TTS and TTRS last time. The TTS was considered more balanced, and it was considered to 'make good' on it's promises. The TTRS was less balanced and didn't deliver the extra capability it's price point above the TTS implied. Looks like the S3 / RS3 are hitting similar challenges this time, with the Golf R as the real bugbear.

its all horses for courses. The motoring press will allways find fault in any car; there are no perfect cars as each customer has different expectations. I for one don't push my S3 anywhere near what it is capable of, and use it according to the conditions and the way I want to drive. I certainly don't spend all of my time chucking around one bend after the next - which is what most moto jounalists seem to use as the benchmark for whether is ticks all the boxes all the time. I've been around thruxton in an S3 as a passenger with a pro who drove the car as if his life depended on getting around the circuit as fast as possible. To be frank, it scared the **** out of me, but it was hugely reassuring to know that when pushed, the S3 would remain planted around corners I would take at 60 or 70 and he took at over 100. Most of us never use anywhare near the full capacity or capability of our cars (other than possibly straight line acceleration) - but its hugely reassuring to know that there arre stacks of capability in reserve.

I remember when the honda fireblade came out - the motoring press lamblasted the bike as being too clinical in its power delivery. Didn't bother me in the slightest - and the fact that it accelerated from 0-140+ mph in a straght line (and i tried this up the runway at Abingdon) faster than you could think on the road, but it didn't necessarily have any 'rough edges' (read raw rider feedback) didn't bother me or most people who bought it. The fact that it was predicable meant you could ride it with confidence knowing how it would handle in any given situation.

I defy anybody to develop a marking criteria for 'balanced' or 'refined' which isn't wholly subjective; this a matter of perspective and the ultimate test of this is by the wide customer base all of whom have different needs from the car.

Reactions: S3 AD
I totally agree that, for most drivers on real roads, there is nothing faster than an RS3 or other comparable car. The question remains over whether the RS3 is worth the premium over an S3 or Golf R. It's marginal and down to personal preference / circumstances.

But pandering to the press with disingenuous marketing which backfires when they actually drive the car, is not helpful! Audi should stick to their guns and say the car is neutral, and rewards 'slow in, fast out' driving styles rather than smoking your rear tyres everywhere.

If I was going to replace my car today, an S3 saloon would be my first choice, but I can totally respect people wanting the new RS3

Reactions: Nimbus265
its all horses for courses. The motoring press will allways find fault in any car; there are no perfect cars as each customer has different expectations. I for one don't push my S3 anywhere near what it is capable of, and use it according to the conditions and the way I want to drive. I certainly don't spend all of my time chucking around one bend after the next - which is what most moto jounalists seem to use as the benchmark for whether is ticks all the boxes all the time. I've been around thruxton in an S3 as a passenger with a pro who drove the car as if his life depended on getting around the circuit as fast as possible. To be frank, it scared the **** out of me, but it was hugely reassuring to know that when pushed, the S3 would remain planted around corners I would take at 60 or 70 and he took at over 100. Most of us never use anywhare near the full capacity or capability of our cars (other than possibly straight line acceleration) - but its hugely reassuring to know that there arre stacks of capability in reserve.

I remember when the honda fireblade came out - the motoring press lamblasted the bike as being too clinical in its power delivery. Didn't bother me in the slightest - and the fact that it accelerated from 0-140+ mph in a straght line (and i tried this up the runway at Abingdon) faster than you could think on the road, but it didn't necessarily have any 'rough edges' (read raw rider feedback) didn't bother me or most people who bought it. The fact that it was predicable meant you could ride it with confidence knowing how it would handle in any given situation.

I defy anybody to develop a marking criteria for 'balanced' or 'refined' which isn't wholly subjective; this a matter of perspective and the ultimate test of this is by the wide customer base all of whom have different needs from the car.

Fantastic summary, right on point.

Reviews are generally positive but I take them all with a pinch of salt. Who the hell cares whether a 5 door hatch drifts or not. Do that and you get nicked and if you really want too then get a Caterham. As for being worth 10k more than the Golf R then the smile factor alone every time I nail the throttle with the exhaust flaps open justifies it for me. I have driven the Golf R and it really didn't feel special to me, plus the dash layout isn't even in the same league as the 8V A3. Ultimately the RS3 ticks all of my boxes. Need to get a baby in the back, need room for golf clubs in the boot and need it to be docile around town. But then I need an animal at weekends that shouts and screams and puts a smile on my face but keeps me safe. Plus my best mate has an A45 so need to do him at the lights :)

Reactions: rs3_lloyd, Foxtrot_Oscar, RS Mad Fan and 2 others
i looked at an A45, and i hated the ride which was stupidly hard, and the MMI stuck on the dash was tacky! Raw power against an S3, yep A45: against an RS3 - i don't think so; all the reports put 0-62 at a convervative 4.3 seconds.....

I don't see why everything gets compared to a golf r I don't personally like the golf R!

I don't like the dash and I don't like the seats, and why would I pay 33k for a golf r when I can have a more premium s3!

Golf R is a good car but... it's just a Golf, and they are common as muck. I see 3 or 4 a week. Plus all the silly deals that went on a few months ago are going to hurt the residuals on them.

As a result I'd choose an S3 over a Golf R, but I don't see the RS3 even in the same category as the Golf R/S3 and it annoys me a bit that it gets compared to them.
The A45 is it's only real competitor/comparison - both in cost and performance. But the A45 is a horrid car, so the RS3 doesn't really have any direct competition IMO!

Reactions: Pulp84 and Nimbus265
S3 I was testing hard for a week was fine but did not impress me so much, at least enough to go and buy it, so I was waiting for the "next step" RS3.
Now the RS3, at first impression, design and reviews, disappointed me.

My alternative is the CLA45 AMG, which by company agreements I get a nice discount of -20% (base price and extras are very high...).

Attached dashboard "ipad" is pretty ugly, and what's worse, gearshift not too fast as they say in the tests.
CLA45 Reestyling expected in next 6 months... if they only fix gearshift speed and adds a bit of extra power (expected 375 hp / 380 cv) I will go for it.

A few months pass quickly, I would like to choose between a RS3 Saloon (Plus?) & CLA45 AMG facelift.

33k3plx.png

Last edited:
This is an interesting quote for me from the Piston Heads review:

"Of the other extras the sports seats are perhaps the only ones to opt for. The sports exhaust suffers from Range Rover Sport SVR syndrome, where the standard noise is so good that it doesn't require messing around with by an overwrought sports system. And given how good the standard suspension felt on the road, the magnetic dampers seem a little unnecessary. But having not compared them in the same situations it's hard to be definitive."

I think that statement there is the final nail in the coffin for the magride/exhaust option for me.

The final test will be actually hearing the difference between the two

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
''I totally agree that, for most drivers on real roads, there is nothing faster than an RS3 or other comparable car. The question remains over whether the RS3 is worth the premium over an S3 or Golf R. ''

Exactly and for me its not. If the RS3 is 10k more it should be wiping the floor with the Golf R and its not, the Golf is the preferred choice of the testers and in everyday use is a better package all round.

I have bought cars before where the testers didn't think it was great thinking i could live with it , but ultimately they were right.

Shame i was hoping the RS3 would be a clear choice for me.

Reactions: SKAVIA
Seems to be mixed opinion on the exhaust and mag ride. One refers to the "Range Rover Sport SVR syndrome" and unnecessary magride. While another review says the must have sports exhaust and better magride.

wondering if its worth the option for the wider front wheels.......

and depending on what exhaust this car has.....

I am not sure I like it

This is an interesting quote for me from the Piston Heads review:

"Of the other extras the sports seats are perhaps the only ones to opt for. The sports exhaust suffers from Range Rover Sport SVR syndrome, where the standard noise is so good that it doesn't require messing around with by an overwrought sports system. And given how good the standard suspension felt on the road, the magnetic dampers seem a little unnecessary. But having not compared them in the same situations it's hard to be definitive."

I think that statement there is the final nail in the coffin for the magride/exhaust option for me.

The final test will be actually hearing the difference between the two

Hmmm that is very interesting indeed ...... could save us all a few £ quid too :icon thumright:

S3 I was testing hard for a week was fine but did not impress me so much, at least enough to go and buy it, so I was waiting for the "next step" RS3.
Now the RS3, at first impression, design and reviews, disappointed me.

My alternative is the CLA45 AMG, which by company agreements I get a nice discount of -20% (base price and extras are very high...).

Attached dashboard "ipad" is pretty ugly, and what's worse, gearshift not too fast as they say in the tests.
CLA45 Reestyling expected in next 6 months... if they only fix gearshift speed and adds a bit of extra power (expected 375 hp / 380 cv) I will go for it.

A few months pass quickly, I would like to choose between a RS3 Saloon (Plus?) & CLA45 AMG facelift.

33k3plx.png

In exactly the same boat as you mate, CLA45 does appeal to me however I had the 2.5 in my TT RS and adore that engine. If there was confirmation of an rs3 saloon I would be running at my local dealer putting down a deposit