Oil catch can ? And few questions

Hi Alex

I just wanted to ask you because you have a VTA set up have you had any issues from there not being a vacuum drawing out the vapour and have you noticed quicker oil contamination I only ask because I have just fitted a catch can to my RS3 but originally I was just going to VTA but thought better of it and I know how bad the carbon build gets and how pain staking of a job it is to clean your valves from when I cleaned my RS4 cheers

It's not expensive but it is fiddly,so I left it to AMDTuning to sort it out for me.
I'll give Revo a ring in Ripley, see what they can do for me (y)

Oh and I meant asking you...
It's says on IE's website to be Carefull with winter weather basically. Said something about the vapour possible freezing when it's really cold and they advise removing the system at winter?
Is this 100% true? Or is it if you live in the South Pole lol?

I'll give Revo a ring in Ripley, see what they can do for me (y)

Oh and I meant asking you...
It's says on IE's website to be Carefull with winter weather basically. Said something about the vapour possible freezing when it's really cold and they advise removing the system at winter?
Is this 100% true? Or is it if you live in the South Pole lol?

It does have a point.
The amount of condensed vapour does increase in very cold weather and it's possible that it could freeze but our winters don't seem to have affected mine so far.

I would guess that in very cold conditions such as they get in some parts of the USA it would be a problem.

Reactions: paul1754
I personally think this option is very good espcially for the price which undoubtably will be alot chaper then the IE option.

This is route I'm going to take, I have read many reviews on this and they are all good and It seem's well proven....

It's certainly alot better then buying the the like's of the Forge, Creation Motorsport, Revo one's.

http://www.r-techdevelopment.co.uk/product/universal-pcv-delete-kit/

Reactions: S3Alex
I personally think this option is very good espcially for the price which undoubtably will be alot chaper then the IE option.

This is route I'm going to take, I have read many reviews on this and they are all good and It seem's well proven....

It's certainly alot better then buying the the like's of the Forge, Creation Motorsport, Revo one's.

http://www.r-techdevelopment.co.uk/product/universal-pcv-delete-kit/

Good that there are cheaper alternatives,as the IE kit isn't cheap at all,but for me provided the best solution as we had a lot of other engine work going on as well,with the head being rebuilt at the same time.

It does have a point.
The amount of condensed vapour does increase in very cold weather and it's possible that it could freeze but our winters don't seem to have affected mine so far.

I would guess that in very cold conditions such as they get in some parts of the USA it would be a problem.
Is there anyway to see of the vapours have frozen on a cold morning or would it be. A case of turning the key and possible braking something to find out?

Another way Im going for the IE system, looks smart, proven to work, and there's no doubt with it.

If the weather ever does get so bad that the vapour could freeze I'll just put the old PCV and cam cover back on, wouldn't be a massive obstacle?..(y)

One small concern, does venting to atmosphere lead to a filth engine bay?

Reactions: paul1754
Is there anyway to see of the vapours have frozen on a cold morning or would it be. A case of turning the key and possible braking something to find out?

Another way Im going for the IE system, looks smart, proven to work, and there's no doubt with it.

If the weather ever does get so bad that the vapour could freeze I'll just put the old PCV and cam cover back on, wouldn't be a massive obstacle?..(y)

One small concern, does venting to atmosphere lead to a filth engine bay?

Only if you let the catch can fill to capacity,in which case you'll get vapour and muck coming out the filter on top of the can.
I've done it,needless to say.

Good that there are cheaper alternatives,as the IE kit isn't cheap at all,but for me provided the best solution as we had a lot of other engine work going on as well,with the head being rebuilt at the same time.

Yeah I agree and If I was going to the lengths etc you have then I would certainly invest the extra for the IE stuff.

However for the average stage2+ I think the above option will be good enough and better then nothing.

I'll get my valves WB'd and do regular oil changes along with 97+ fuel etc and see how it goes....

Reactions: S3Alex
Yeah I agree and If I was going to the lengths etc you have then I would certainly invest the extra for the IE stuff.

Those who know me well would agree that I usually have to go just that little bit too far.

Hi fella's.
Interesting thread, and sorry for opening an older thread.
I've been trying to find information about fitting a catch tank to a 3.0 v6 supercharged engine. Not much about.

My initial thoughts were to fit a sealed tank in line pre pcv , and after purchasing a new pcv , I've realised that the crankcase breather comes up from the block. I.E , no breather pipe.
After reading this thread I'm thinking of fitting a venting to air tank , maybe just cutting the cam cover vents . But my guess is that the crankcase breather spits out most of the crap.

Any idea's.

Regards

Brad.