Headlamp/bonnet wash irritant

45bvtc

The Older I Get The Better I Was
Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
An irritant on the RS3, and I guess other 8P cars too, is the headlamp-wash going off every five (or so) windscreen wash activations; it really did **** me off especially when I'd a polished BLUEY's bonnet and all.

Change the settings via VAG-COM Diagnostic System (VCDS) if you must but my 'tried and tested' solution is to 'PULL' the #32 fuse.

OK, so you need 'headlamp wash' for an MOT, maybe; so just re-install the fuse and the 'headlamp-wash' will again work. :drag:

BUT you get a "09 Central Electric" fault registered; well it's not the end of the world, just ignore it and/or use VCDS to re-set it.

MOT done, just pull the fuse and store safe till next time - no more bonnet spray from the headlamp wash...:yahoo:

Pain in the di#k maybe but it works for me...:tears of joy:

Capture

PULLED #32 fuse stored safe till next MOT....:thumbs up:

Last edited:
Reactions: KKM
Hi John, didn't the VCDS tweak work?

NOT 100% for me, Paul; but pulling the b**dy fuse did... :uk:
I've done a drawing of the fuse box to make fuse identification easy, but it'll need a water-mark prior to post, if you know what I mean... :friends:

Amazed others haven't considered the same resolution...

Last edited:
I guess if you don't want ANY headlight wash, nothing but fuse pulling will do.

NOT 100% for me, Paul; but pulling the b**dy fuse did... :uk:
I've done a drawing of the fuse box to make fuse identification easy, but it'll need a water-mark prior to post, if you know what I mean... :friends:

Amazed others haven't considered the same resolution...

You won't get a water mark now you've pulled the fuse

Reactions: 45bvtc
I'll just comment what I have said elsewhere on this. It is a safety feature for the benefit of other drivers as dirty xenon headlights are dazzling.

I'll just comment what I have said elsewhere on this. It is a safety feature for the benefit of other drivers as dirty xenon headlights are dazzling.

100% correct! dbm. AND a (Type Approved) legal requirement, too.

But so ARE the fitment of secondary catalytic converters (and some take 'em off), the use of 235 rear tyres (where the standard is 225), the use of alternative brake pad materials (even though the STD Audi ones are ****), etc.

I do acknowledge the EU Approval reasoning; ish (?), having been responsible for EU compliance, and 'may' put my fuse back in later (or at the next MOT at least) but there are not many (RS3) cars out there running 'legally' anyway.

ALL motor cars today are manufactured to specification and that specification is listed in the vehicles Type Approval Number and for 'my' RS3 it is: e1*2007/46*0615*01 - any deviation from this and the car doesn't comply - as every pointed and/or flat cap PC will know, of course.

ME? I'm happy running as is; the secondary cats are in the loft and the headlamp wash fuse is in the fuse box ready and waiting for a 60-second re-fit...

100% correct! dbm. AND a (Type Approved) legal requirement, too.

But so ARE the fitment of secondary catalytic converters (and some take 'em off), the use of 235 rear tyres (where the standard is 225), the use of alternative brake pad materials (even though the STD Audi ones are ****), etc.

Each to their own, of coarse. But some people may not understand the decision they are making, so I am merely providing information.

To my mind, removing your cat is unlikely to cause someone else to crash, nor is having wider rear tyres or updated brakes. Dazzling a person might.

Like I say, each to their own choice.

I see your point, having previously been in automotive lighting manufacture for 10 years, in which time I made prototypes for the likes of Jaguar and Land Rover.

However high pressure washer jets are only any good if people actually use them.
How many people would think to wash their lights if they got flashed?
Let alone upto 5 pulls to get them to fire.

I think they are flawed from the start.

Id be more concerned about the dodgy aftermarket HID kits.

For the record they don't bother me, I have the means to change it, but have never felt the need.

Last edited:
The thing is you can clean/polish the car to within an inch of its life, however as soon as you go out on these British roads it'll be dirty within 5 miles, so the headlamp wash is the least of your worries.......