Interesting thread on Pistonheads - Golf R Turbo Failure - TD1

This will remain a cloudy area for some time IMO. I think it fair to say that ECU maps are definitely less warranty friendly than the boxes at this point. Whether there will be a similar case raise it's head from someone who has a box, only time will tell.
I certainly wouldn't be ***** enough to claim that any manufacturer couldn't find traces of a tuning box if they looked hard enough. However, as people have already stated, some sensor fault codes don't seem anywhere near as concrete in regards to evidence as a full ECU software change. I personally think that Audi for example wouldn't be able to 'prove' car X has had tuning box Y installed at some point unless they had photographic evidence of the box being on there or similar. Would I put my house on it though, er... no.

As it stands from what we know at the minute about detection, it appears to be Tuning boxes 0 - ECU maps 1. Given that there have supposedly been a few cars running boxes that have had turbo failure similar to what this chap on PH has suffered and had no issues warranty wise, 'for the time being' it seems that tuning boxes have the upper hand. Whether that changes over time, who knows..

Last edited:
Reactions: Leo-RS
I had a TTS which ran at 270bhp, i decided to get it remapped as i wanted 300bhp so i bought an S3.

Reactions: Cymru09
This will remain a cloudy area for some time IMO. I think it fair to say that ECU maps are definitely less warranty friendly than the boxes at this point. Whether there will be a similar case raise it's head from someone who has a box, only time will tell.
I certainly wouldn't be ***** enough to claim that any manufacturer couldn't find traces of a tuning box if they looked hard enough. However, as people have already stated, some sensor fault codes don't seem anywhere near as concrete in regards to evidence as a full ECU software change. I personally think that Audi for example wouldn't be able to 'prove' car X has had tuning box Y installed at some point unless they had photographic evidence of the box being on there or similar. Would I put my house on it though, er... no.

As it stands from what we know at the minute about detection, it appears to be Tuning boxes 0 - ECU maps 1. Given that there have supposedly been a few cars running boxes that have had turbo failure similar to what this chap on PH has suffered and had no issues warranty wise, 'for the time being' it seems that tuning boxes have the upper hand. Whether that changes over time, who knows..

I do think with modern technology and logging that if they checked records held on the cars internal computers they could see irregularities caused by a tuning box. That's just my thoughts though, no evidence - just an idea.

tuning cars always carries a reliability risk - I had a 170bhp Peugeot 205 1.9gti.

spent a lot on it and didn't skimp - it had a hard life driven fairly hard daily (too tricky to drive slowly unlike the s3) but got rid when head gasket only blew at 152K miles

I do think with modern technology and logging that if they checked records held on the cars internal computers they could see irregularities caused by a tuning box. That's just my thoughts though, no evidence - just an idea.
yep everything will be logged

no real surprise

I guess the manufacturer (or rather their warranty insurer) is thinking "why should I pay for replacements parts when the customer has changed the spec"

Unlucky!

Will happen with the s3 before long too