Low Beam works High Beam does not on OEM bi-xenon?

Cory Wetzel

Reaction score
I have a 2003 Audi A3 3.2L Quattro. A car I liked until recently.

There are several issues that I am trying to unravel but the most recent and hardest to decipher is an issue with the headlamps. The low beams work, but high beams do not work on the passenger side. I thought I would just have to replace a bulb. I assumed there would be a separate bulb for the high beams, but when I opened the housing there is only one HID D1S bulb. (not to mention it is impossible to get to the bulb, how does one replace that bulb?)
So I assume that I have OEM bi-xenon HID bulb, so how is it that the low beam works but the high beam does not? I was going to replace the bulb but the bulbs are very expensive and now I am not sure that will fix the high beam issue. I appreciate any thoughts or feedback.

Normally, when engaging the hight beam stalk, oem bi xenon have a shutter to reflect more light (high beam). In other words low and high is in the same lens and uses the same bulb. Originaly, bi xenon didnt come to the a3 before 06. Are your headlights retrofitted?

Normally, when engaging the hight beam stalk, oem bi xenon have a shutter to reflect more light (high beam). In other words low and high is in the same lens and uses the same bulb. Originaly, bi xenon didnt come to the a3 before 06. Are your headlights retrofitted?

Thank you for the reply. Sorry there was a typo in my post I have a 2006 A3 Quattro 3.2L.

So will replacing the bulbs correct this issue? I am assuming I should replace both bulbs to maintain the proper balanced spectrum. Appreciate your thoughts.

As HenrikMeister says the bulb is on in dip and main beam the only thing that activates it is a metal shroud that comes up/down when selecting main or low beam on your steering stalk..Replacing the bulb alone will not cure your problem.I would suggest getting the whole light unit out and checking for faults with the servo motor that operates the metal shroud..As for replacing bulbs I would deffo recommend replacing both at the same time.If they are the original bulbs from new they would probably need changing ..Hope this helps...Paul;)