Grrrr....

wideboybloke

Reaction score
ddfe6336122ec65aeaf09074478a4450.jpg

I couldn't work out how to get this on the existing thread about anonymous damage.

Took delivery of this beauty on 1 August. On 16 November I discover this dent. It looks too obscure to have been done by a wing mirror - perhaps not - but the galling thing is that I traded in an 8P which over the course of the 4 years I owned it acquired a number of annoying dents, scrapes and scratches, mainly from the station car park from which I commuted to work. So, once I retired, I thought 'no more station car park, I'll treat myself to a brand new 8V'. And this is what happens....

This forum is the only place that will understand my disappointment and frustration at discovering this. My mum's view (bless her) would have been 'It's only a bit of ****** tin!' My wife makes sympathetic noises, but I suspect that's only because she knows how peeved I am.

As I take great pride in this car (possibly mistake no. 1), I intend to look into having the dent removed. After I had calmed down on discovering the damage, I wondered whether it might be possible to remove the rear light cluster and push it out from inside. Any thoughts?

Reactions: TDI-line
Yes grab a dent magician & they should be able to make it look allot prettier.

Where are you based? I know a fantastic dent guy in Cheshire.

It is in a bit of an awkward place but I used to run ConfiDent and mobile dent removal company and yes it can be removed but may need to remove the rear interior casing.

I am based in Hampshire - unfortunately! Thanks for the replies; I feel better already! Yesterday I was so downhearted, I didn't even want to drive it whereas normally it's any excuse to take it out for a spin. Being retired, I can drive it whenever I like .

I think I might visit a couple of bodyshops this afternoon to see what they have to say.

You definitely want to try and get pdr (paintless dent removal). Avoid traditional bodyshops who don't offer this service as they will spot weld it, pull out the dent, use filler for the spot weld point and then respray the whole panel!

You wont get to it by removing the light lens as its a closed socket. Take it out anyway (2 mins with the plastic tool in your boot kit, and itll shed some light in through the holes and you should be able to get to it from inside the boot.

Hope you fix it, I feel you're pain - some total ********* out there!!

Same happened to my old A3 a few years back, it was my brothers friend running down the street and used the car to stop himself... nice big dent which almost nearly came out... was quoted £800 for a full bodyshop job, £60 for PDR and it sailed through the auctions no problem after.

Thanks again everybody for your replies. I have been looking at PDR operators' websites and am heartened by what I have read. I am confident that a small dent like mine can be easily fixed. I feel a lot happier about things now, although I could still swing for the stupid person who made the dent! Night all.

Seen much worse pulled out flawlessly by a skilled PDR guy. Definitely what I'd be looking at for that sort of thing.

PDR will sort that easily. There will be lots of companies Hampshire way to fix that. There is a guy I have used in Wiltshire with his own workshop and the results are just amazing. Really is a skill to get dents out.

Have you had it fixed? Be good to know how you get on and we do care..............

Yes do feel your annoyance, let us know how you get on and good luck.

Thanks again, guys. Not yet had it fixed, but have reviewed a few websites and have decided who to contact. Busy weekend in prospect, (this retirement caper is all go!) so will take forward next week. Will definitely post pics of repaired item.

In other news, been rather preoccupied with wife's car this week. Seat Ibiza 1.2 turbo - and turbo has failed after 8000 miles. Rather dented my confidence in small petrol turbo engines. All fixed under warranty, but wondering about implications for A3s that have the same engine (105 HP). Anybody any similar experience to report?