Temperature gauge trouble!?

ScoteBurz

Reaction score
Hello there, fairly new to this so if its in the wrong section please move it!

Il try and be as clear and as short as possible so that i can get what im experiencing, across to you guys!

I bought my audi a3 2.0tdi sport a week or 2 ago and it was absolutely great until the other day. I was on a long journey, around an hour in, when my temperature gauge was fluctuating between 50 and 90. Never over 90. The car went into limp mode and so eventually got to my destination.
I looked online and a new coolant temperature sensor looked the answer so i bought a new one and fitted it. There are 2 on my car, firstly i changed the one at the front of the engine but nothing happened so the went to the other one under the air box. The connector pin smelt of glycol and had water inside. so replaced this and drove around.. seemed alright.
The sensor had a grey connector.. ive heard somewhere about a green one but eurocarparts only had one type and its grey.
Watching the temperature gauge, nothing happened. It was at minimum and stayed at minimum until i was stationary where it would pick up to about 70, but as soon as i started off again it would go back to 50.

Lovely hot air comes into the cabin. But temperature is always low and getting very bad fuel economy!

Can anyone help? ive thought thermostat but im getting hot air inside..

Need anymore information at all just ask, im more than happy to supply it!

Just want this solved so i can enjoy her!

Thanks,

Scott :)

Yup, wrong section.

You have a stuck thermostat, which causes water to always flow through the radiator and with the cold weather, the system is being extra 'efficient'. Change the thermostat and all should be well.