Fiesta Red Edition - three cylinder turbo, 140bhp, 2.6 bar boost!!

jaykay8L

Reaction score
A mates son has just ordered a new one of these.

140bhp from 1.0l triple.

2.6 bar boost!!! Thats more than double my S3 :ninja:

Impressive figures, but wonder about reliability long-term. Looks nice tho.

Fiesta RedEditionBlackEdition 20

It will be 2.6 bar absolute so 1.6 bar actual boost pressure around 23 PSI. It's a Ford they are not worried about long term reliability as long as it makes it past 3 years then it doesn't matter. Like you though I can see all kinds of potential issues in the long term with these.

Karl.

Reactions: DieselJake
Noted re absolute and actual. Didn't know the difference, but every day is a school-day :)

A bit more tech stuff from the release announcement :

"The engine’s compact, low-inertia turbocharger spins at up to 248,000 rpm – more than 4,000 times per second and almost twice the rpm of the turbochargers powering 2014 F1 race car engines – to deliver 2.6 bar (38 psi) of boost pressure; more than enough to pump up the tyres on a Ford Fiesta.

New calibration for turbocharger boost control, Ti-VCT, intercooler, throttle management and ignition timing have increased power output from 125 PS to 140 PS and enabled peak torque of 180 Nm from 1,400 rpm to 5,000 rpm, helping achieve 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) acceleration in 9 seconds and a top speed of 201 km/h (125 mph) in the new Fiesta Red and Black Editions.

“It’s a testament to the advanced design of the 1.0-litre EcoBoost that we were able to tune the engine for 140 PS with the only hardware change required being an uprated cylinder-head gasket for increased pressures,” said Andrew Fraser, manager, Gasoline Calibration, Ford of Europe. “Peak firing pressure on the 7 cm diameter pistons is 124 bar (1,800 psi); equivalent to more than 5 tonnes or a full grown African elephant standing on top of a soft-drink can.”

Developed by Ford experts across Europe, including engineers at Ford’s European Research and Advanced Engineering Centre in Aachen, Germany, and the Dunton Technical Centre, U.K., the engine uses a compact cast iron cylinder block small enough to fit in the overhead luggage compartment of an airplane.

The engine also features an aluminium cylinder head with an integrated exhaust manifold that lowers exhaust temperatures for optimised the fuel-to-air ratio. An innovative flywheel and front pulley design delivers improved refinement compared with traditional 3-cylinder engine designs.

Engine friction is reduced by specially coated pistons, low tension piston rings, low friction crank seals and a cam-belt-in-oil design. A variable displacement oil pump tailors lubrication to demand and optimises oil pressure, for improved fuel efficiency
".

Cam belt in oil design?

Exhaust manifold integrated into cylinder head?

Variable displacement oil pump?

Witchcraft!

Reactions: jaykay8L
Engine reminds me of my friends Glanza, although obviously being older Glanza's are considerbly lighter and have a fair few aftermarket performance bits and bobs to choose from.

I had one of the 125ps variants as a courtesy car when the van was getting serviced recently.
I was mighty impressed with it and the interior was very nice also.
Usual though, boot these things and the economy that they quote goes seriously west...!

Had a drive of this a couple of days ago. Only 110 miles on it! Keeping it below 4k, still had plenty of torque, and really nice to drive.

It doesn't sound bad either, and reminded me a little of an old school Audi Coupe 5 cylinder that a mate had, and also a bit of a Focus ST 5 cylinder that i drove a while back.

Sounds MUCH nicer than any 4 cylinder that i've driven, particularly a 1.0l four.

Will have a proper drive again once its run in, but I have to say, i'm impressed with what they've done.

It won't last long, but it'll be someone else's problem by then.

Reactions: Jake 61