got new car, help spend my money and time

karl210

Reaction score
Purchased me a new car today, shes a bit rough around the edges but at £1600 I have around £1000 to spend, oh and im good with a spanner and sharing a unit with a spray painter should help.

Its a 2002 2.5tdi quattro avant in dark blue with 140k on the clock, can you recommend any alternatives to the following things i dislike?
1.Steering wheel
2.Stereo
3.Wood trim: wrap, spray or replace?
4.Wheels
5.Lack of body trim
6.Suspension

I've just noticed it has an egr delete, bonus! and to be fair, she already does pull like a train but a bit more power wouldn't hurt. Now ive had an audi s3 8l which I had tuned upto about 260bhp and a mk5 golf gti which I had tuned upto about 260bhp so I am familiar with petrol but don't have a clue about diesels. So a few questions:
1.Do cone filters sound good on these?
2.Has anyone tinkered with the wastegate preload slightly just to give that slight extra boost?

A few problems with the car:
1.when sitting in the car on idle, the engine shudders, as though it is missfiring, but it pulls really well, any ideas? I will have to get my old vag-com dug out and linked up
2.The viscous fan always seems to be on, any ideas?
3.Sloppy gearbox

If i get chance after work tomorrow, plan is to hopefully remove the exhaust and gut the cat and pre cat, drain, flush and refill the cooling system(its a bit dirty) drain the bulkhead reservoir and get some parts ordered that you lovely people suggest!

I apologise if any of this has been covered but I have been reading up quite a bit, but there is so much to take in! so any pointers or links to threads would be great

2014%2B-%2B5

2014%2B-%2B4

2014%2B-%2B2

2014%2B-%2B1

Glad you found one in the end!

1.Steering wheel - The sport 3-spoke will go straight on, you can take it further by fitting a B7 MFSW but that requires some modification and wiring.
2.Stereo - You have the single DIN unit, maybe go aftermarket? Failing that, get yourself a double-din surround and fit a Symphony II+ from a B7 (6-cd MP3 changer and much better sound quality)
3.Wood trim: wrap, spray or replace? - I would replace, plenty of B6's with the aluminium trim being broken for parts now.
4.Wheels - Your choice - 5x112 fitment
5.Lack of body trim - Again, your choice, look out for used s-line bumpers / votex kit?
6.Suspension - Depends what kind of ride/look you are after - many fit lowering springs. I have coilovers and haven't looked back. You may also want to consider the RS4 rear anti-roll bar.

1.when sitting in the car on idle, the engine shudders, as though it is missfiring, but it pulls really well, any ideas? I will have to get my old vag-com dug out and linked up. This could be the dual-mass flywheel or a broken engine mount.
2.The viscous fan always seems to be on, any ideas? This is normal, will spin faster the hotter the engine.
3.Sloppy gearbox - Re-allgn the linkages and carry out a gearbox oil change.

Last edited:
Reactions: ruffrida
I love this site!
So much information availability for newbies, I'm like you, just ahead by a couple of weeks maybe and I was thinking along the same lines as you for all your ideas.
I have already bought and installed the MFSW not totally functional yet but close and working on rough idle as I speak. Couple din head unit is definitely way to go, eBay offers lots but be careful what you buy. Great looking car and good luck!!

Cone filters do nothing to increase power on these engines so stick with standard. Just looking at your gear lever in the photos and it looks shorter that standard. Has someone been messing with it ?? If so it may explain the sloppy gear change as the change on these is usually pretty slick.

Thank you for that, great info! I dont think so no, i think its in 6th there so pointing towards the camera, going to get it ip on stands today and take exhaust off and look at linkage too. Is an upgraded panel filter worth it?

1. Audi TT flat bottom steering wheel
5197d1312149317-brand-new-tt-rs-mfsw-flat-bottom-steering-wheel-w-airbag-img_0408.jpg

2. MK2 RNS-E
genuine-audi-rns-e-highline-reverse-camera-with-guidelines-supply-fit-[2]-1358-p.jpg

3. Audi B6/B7 carbon trim or wrap for a similar affect
featured-1.jpg

4. S-line, Bentley or BBS wheels
DSC_0276.jpg

attachment.php

3305425065_feb40c97e9.jpg

5. S-line/GMBH, S4 or Votex body kit
21-09-09No1-1.jpg

dscf0003-4917743753153850937.jpg

b703ed5d2fd7577bcfee2cf6e44cb13eo.jpg

6. Eibach
prokit1.jpg

Thanks! Came to it tonight and battery was flat, took it for another spin and there is a knocking from the front left, will this be top mount?
Will have an ebay session tonight and order some bits. I noticed theres a lot of oil onthe drivers side of the engine, any ideas?
Also thinking about an electric fan, the viscous one is very very loud, thoughts on this?
Im sure i will be back later with many more questions

Which steering wheel did you go for frank?
Im bidding on the same one as above, the tt one, but if i dont win it i will just get a b7 3 spoke one.
I have been looking absoloutely everywhere for the s-line, gmbh or votex kit and they really are hard to get hold of, if this goes on for too long mabie some custom work is needed!
Anyone with any info on this suspension setup? http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=231367850347&alt=web

AP are half-decent.
Not a bad price either - just stay away from the really cheap and nasty stuff!

I will take a set of matched sport shock absorbers and eibach pro springs over any sub £500 coilovers anytime... However as a quick fix they will do- just don't expect the car to handle any better but it will look good !

Well thats the problem really, the eibach springs are £190, or some apex for £130 and i dont think my standard dampers would cope very well, i think the car would be bouncing all over.
Or there are coilovers for £200 ie the lo brand.
Or obviously the ap suspension, would you go coilovers or ap? Ive had cheap coilovers in the past and the ride was bone shaking, and i had eibach springs on my golf gti and they was great, but at least i had gti shocks that had done less miles

Don't waste money on a non standard air filter as it won't increase power. The viscous fan may need a new clutch. Mine was making a loud screeching noise so I changed it and it cured the noise problem. It would be a lot easier than trying to fit an after market electric fan and they are cheap off eBay. Oil is likely from rocker covers, diesel leak off pipes or injector seals on the rocker cover. Clean them well and run for a while and you should find out the source. Knocking is likely top arms, bottom ball joints or c link bushes or track rod ends. Get the car up on a lift and have a good poke about with a pry bar and you should find the source.

Found them ap's for about £300 delivered from europerformance I think it was so unless anyone has any better options I may be ordering them in the next few days. Going to order some new brakes all around asap, as they are gone. Was going to get standard mintex all round but would like to use a slightly better front pad if you have any recommendations? without spending too much.
As for the viscous clutch, when the engine is off i can spin it freely by hand but when started and revved (engine cold) the fan noise is louder than the engine!

Link to suspension, absoloute bargain + £10 for delivery. From experience i know Eibach springs are good, but for another £100 you get uprated matched dampers
http://www.europerformance.co.uk/pages/products/product_info.mhtml?product=2567762

My viscous fan spun freely too but reving the engine made a loud shrieking noise. The fan should be almost silent. All you should hear is whoosh of the air being pushed through when building up the revs.

The viscous fan, yeah, sorry when i meant noise i meant woosh of air, seems a lot though especially for a cold engine, also bearing in mind i will be doing quite a few short journeys, it may be worth it to go electric?