Help with a3, power loss, black smoke etc

deek19790

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Been having an issue with my car for last few months as follows:

1. Feels like turbo isn't kicking in as car pickup is like none turbo.
2. When driving at high speeds 70mph sometimes the car struggles to get to 80 and feel like its stuggles at 70 but than at other times it's fine.
3. Puffs of black smoke when I put the foot down at least every two days....exhaust black on end in a week after cleaning.

I have changed the maf already so can't be that...or can it be faulty?

Any advise would be great

D

Sorrys it's 09 plate 1.9 tdi, also I noticed in last when I put foot down I used to hear a hissing sound which now seems to have disappeared

Check your intake pipe seals

hi mate,

any pictures of what im looking at? also how will i know its leaking?

d

They are the silicone pipes coming off the turbo to the intercooler then from the IC to the inlet manifold. They are on quick release slide catches and one could have come off a bit

hi mate,

will have a quick look to double check , i think the garage did check these and couldn't find anything wrong, they scanned it also and found nothing wrong.

d

hi guys,

checked all the pipes and they look fine, checked with both engine off and then got a mate to rev engine so i can check with engine on and all look fine.

anything else anyone can recommend?

thanks
d

I would deff say boost leak had the same on our lass's golf. Ended up being the joints already mentioned, give them a good pull and if there loose then they'll be leaking. Check for oil around the joints as well.

Hi,

Can anyone send me photo of what I'm checking to make sure I'm checking right thing?

D

hi guys,

have looked at the hose from the turbo to the intercooler and also one coming out from turbo to manifold (one was from top of intercooler and other from bottom) and both look completely fine.

speaking with someone they said it could one of these items:

1. faulty injector loom
2. egr
3. turbo itself
4. faulty replacement maf.

please could anyone help rule these out as i don't want to spend money on replacing these all one by one.

any help is appricated.

d

Could be an overboosting condition

turbo on its way out?

Does the turbo work fine and if drove harsh or over 70 80mph there is no turbo power?
But once engine is turned off and back its all good again?

hi mate,

it feels like the turbo isn't working in my opinion but then people say if it wasn't you would stuggle to pickup at all when u standstill which isn't the case.

i noticed twice when i was driving at 70-80 that the car was stuggling to get higher, if i braked and went back to 60 then the car would stuggle to get to 70 again, and other times it picks up no problems, didn't noticed if engine off and on makes a difference as hardly do motorway driving.

d

Where did you get the MAF from?

Have you had the car scanned and is it showing any fault codes? Edit - just reread and it was showing no fault codes. Doh!

hi,

the garage that changed it brought it from vw but didn't change the whole unit, they only changed the sensor.

i scanned it last week and also last night and still no errors, it would be better if there was as at least i would know what the problem is.

d

hi,

no no error lights on at all, only thing that comes up on vcds is a combination confort dadbus in single wire (00470) error, this is related to a loose wire somewhere in door.

d

Hi,

Possible but I don't really know where to take it as two garages couldn't find anything wrong and both wanted to change things one by one which I don't really want to do.

I will google and read about actuator and see if I can find symtoms related.

If anyone else gets any other ideas please respond as I do need the help

D

Sorrys it's 09 plate 1.9 tdi, also I noticed in last when I put foot down I used to hear a hissing sound which now seems to have disappeared

I reckon you have a leak which is why you're not hearing this any more. The leak is such that it occurs when you hit 70mph. If the turbo is working and boosting up to that speed then I would recheck all the hoses. Ideally by someone who knows what they are looking for. This is probably the least expensive option and worth checking as it's free. Ideally you want someone who knows what they are looking for to specifically check the hoses for cracks, leaks etc. So you might not have leaks at idle but at 70mph you may. Just a thought but, its the least expensive check before you start looking for other things.

Hi mate, I don't think the turbo works at a lower speed as the pickup u think is much lower than it used to me.

Your best getting a smoke test for leaks mate then at least your starting somewhere before delving deaper.

I'm located in London, not too far from the good old wembley stadium.

You know Of anyone local who does smoke tests?

D

I'm located in London, not too far from the good old wembley stadium.

You know Of anyone local who does smoke tests?

D
No sorry mate not down there, an I wouldn't call it the good old Wembley stadium.. Not for me any way I'm a sheff Utd fan!

Get in touch with a few tuning company's near your way and I'm sure they may have one or point you in the direction of someone that has. Would've thought it'd be no more than £30 to test.

Last edited: