Cam chain tensioner broke and cam chain snapped.... Help please

Paul mitchell

Reaction score
Hi there, I have a Audi a3 2.0 dis on a 53plate... The car has done 113.000 miles and cam belt changed 14.000 miles ago!! Unfortunately I was driving he car 2 weeks ago on the motorway, car just lost all power so I pulled over onto hard shoulder, no noise, grinding, warning lights etc when lost power, well not what I could hear as I was on a motorway, anyway today a friend starts investigating what the problem was, after taking the cam chain cover off to my shock the chain had snapped, the cam chain tensioner lower runner plastic had completley gone and you could see where some of the aluminium lower tensioner had snapped..... Now I've read many posts on this and most say this is not a serviced item therefore should not fail, why can't audi/vw be held responsible for this common problem as it's obvious its a product failure?... My next question is what do I do next, is it worth stripping the engine down at more of a expense to see what damage has been done I do I sell it as spares or repair..... I'm not that cover when it comes to cars as I'm a builder so would appreciate any help as im gutted PLEASE HELP

Please excuse some of the spelling as its predictive messaging on my new iPad,,,, paul

Paul, that is a terrible thing to happen. Most likely, your engine is an 'interference' type, which means that there is a possibility of the pistons hitting the valves if the camshaft chain breaks. In this case, one would first of all pull the head, and check for damage. If no damage, then replace the chain and tensioner. If damaged, it really means a complete rebuild, or a replacement engine. Doubt that Audi would be any help. Get the head off and go from there. Good luck mate.

When was the cambelt was changed who did the work and what did they do? Did they replace the tensioners as well? Did you had the water pump replaced as well? I'm not sure if one of these siezes if that can contribute towards the cam belt failure.

In addition how long ago was the belt changed in months? Audi parts are covered for two years. Other manufacturers are usually 12 months and the onus would be on the supplying garage.

I know I bang on about this but, this is why I will only go to Audi for these major items to be replaced/repaired.

Its his cam chain which has snapped!
These engines have a timing belt and a chain on the otherside of the head to drive the other cam.
Totally seperate from the cambelt with no service interval recommended for the chain.

As above think you'll need to remove the head and inspect from there.
If it's just a couple of bent valves then it's worth repairing