Bluetooth Music Query

Kwatrow

Reaction score
I've just connected my new phone (Nexus 5) to my '07 TDI quattro and the phone connection is fine by Bluetooth, but I wondered if it is possible to play music on the phone via the car audio. Any help most welcome.
K.

Short answer, just using the standard Bluetooth, no it's not possible.

Are there any simple modification options to enable this. I assume it's a car issue, rather than a phone issue.

If you've got the rnse with iPod lead, you can use a tune2air adaptor.

Not sure what the full name of my audio system is, there's no satnav and it says Audi Concert on the front (see picture below). The phone is an Android, not an iPhone although there is an iPod connector in the glove compartment. I had a look on the internet at the tune2air adaptors, but they appear to be for iPhones. Can they be Bluetooth linked to an Android, so far as you know. Otherwise I guess I could get a 3.5mm to female iPod lead to physically connect the phone and car. Don't know if that would work.
DSCN1140

Yes, your quickest/cheapest option would be to connect your phone directly to the AUX in socket (using a male to male 3.5mm lead) then hit 'CD' again until AUX comes up on the display and your phone music/sound is passed through your car stereo.

I very recently got completely bugged by all the cables hanging around with this option and built an Airplay solution so that I could quickly pump music from Spotify/iTunes etc. 'wirelessly' into the stereo. As I'm an Apple user though, I've no idea if that could/would work from an Android phone.

I should add that, although I could have just used a Bluetooth adapter to perform a similar function, I don't have the Bluetooth module in my car and I find Bluetooth to be a ballache to connect/manage in cars I have used it in. Also, Bluetooth compresses the audio transmitted, essentially impacting the quality of the audio received by the stereo - that's fine for a phone call, but not so good if audio quality is your bag.

Last edited:
Thanks for the ideas, I think I'll initially try the 3.5 to 3.5mm connector as a low cost first step.

Can't find a 3.5mm auxiliary in. Is it hidden, or do I use a 3.5mm (phone) to female iPod (car) connector.

Mine is in the centre console, between the handbrake and armrest, under a little flap labeled AUX. You car may or not have it depending on spec and options at factory. I don't know about injecting audio via an iPod connector, possible I guess.
aux-18802.jpg

I have a 12V outlet where your Aux input is. I think I'll buy the 3.5mm (phone) to female iPod (car) lead and hope for the best.
Thanks for all the input.

Like @Jtaylor said, tune2air is a good option if you have an iPod interface and just want to stream music over A2DP from any music app on your Android phone.

I used a similar method to stream music from my Samsung Galaxy to an aftermarket Kenwood stereo, which had Bluetooth built-in. Once paired, your phone will automatically connect to the BT adapter and default to playing any audio over BT as soon as you turn BT function 'on' and the stereo is powered-up.

Update: I have an AUX connection and quality is very dependent on your cable, plus you will likely get fed up with the cables strewn all over your car :)

To the best of my knowledge RNS-E does not have a built-in Bluetooth module, so unless you have this extra module, you will need it for BT streaming to work.

No streaming of music possible via the OEM audi bluetooth however i do believe the Fiscon bluetooth aftermarket kit allows it, if you want to keep everything OEM though and go for the Audi bluetooth module then you can always use the Tune2Air i have one and it integrates very nicely with the RNS-E and DIS.

I know the rns-e doesn't have built in BT. That was not the question.

Do you mind making a video showing how DIS and rns-e handle your setup? @Veneeringman

I want the oem look in menus and functions, if its a fiscon or harman doesnt matter

Last edited: