Big Power Options.

JoshG93

Reaction score
In my search for big power out of my S3, I aimed straight for a number which I thought would be squeezing the little 1.8 dry, 400bhp. After posting on here and having a good chat with a few lads including Tufty, I still thought it was the way to go. So, I started saving. In that time I have purchased yet another project car, but I still crave more power. After talking with a few tuning places they advised me that if I wanted a reliable big BHP car that I may want to consider dropping my power aim a bit to around 330-350 mark. So, any suggestions on what turbos are best for this kind of power. I've read about GT-RS eliminator kits and ihi turbos. Just wanted to know what you boys thought?

Cheers.
Josh.

What's mainly involved with the 064 conversion?

prawn on here has the 064 and its perfect for the 1.8t
no lack of power from low down to high revs
silky smooth
best fast car ive been in
the 064 comes complete with its own mannifold so an adaptor is needed to mount it to the head
custom downpipe and intake (intake not too difficult from what i hear)
then the obvious things like
fmic
catback
injectors
con rods
etc etc
whats your current tune??
you will prob want engine mounts and clutch to
its not a bolt on application
avoid eliminators unless you like playing find the ball bearing
and only go for ihi if your into melting metal into funny shapes

Hahaha! Quality reply! Just what I needed mate, thanks. Things like custom exhausts and intakes don't really bother me. I can sort that, it's just the turbo. Think that has made my mind up though.

I'm currently running a Front mount, silicone hoses, 4 bar pressure regulator, 3 inch intake & a cat back.

Was thinking of updating the inlet manifold aswell. IE rods are a no brainer. Injectors, bigger fuel pump. That sorta thing.

I will keep an eye on this thread.

You should document your build including a list of parts and costs breakdown (if you don't mind of course). It would make life easier for the next person that pops along asking for big power (and me ).

Good luck and look forward to hearing more.

I will definetly chap, once the necessary funds are raised to make an actual start, I'll resurrect it and start uploading the pics.

It's okay. But a lot of bespoke work that could be better spent on a gt30 or something. If it were plug and play then fair enough. But it's a lot of work for a small turbo pushed to its max at 360 /370.

Reactions: Mrharris2
Isn't that what makes it less laggy though having a smaller turbo so power is available near enough when you want it throughout rather rev range?

Yes but theres a trade off aswell, turbo cars don't come from the factory ususlly pushing more than like 12psi as they want the turbo in its efficiency range, lower Temperatures and hopefully long term reliability.

If you ran a race car and wanted 400hp you'd run a turbo rated to 400hp and run it flat out BUT you'd be expecting to do a rebuild frequently!

The 064 turbo is perfect if you just want 350hp and has a nice broad power delivery.
If you want more get a bigger turbo.

In reality even with sticky tyres and a perfect chassis set up the 064 is more than enough for exploiting on the street.

On the flip side I wouldn't swap in an 064 purely because I'd have to do rods anyway so would go bigger just for bragging rights.

I'm not really looking for drag strip times or to be keeping up with the Jap lovers or to impress other people with my numbers. It's still going to be my daily. The S3 8L has always been my favourite car and I just want to update it to what the modern day S3 is pushing, but a little bit more. ;) I'd rather spend my weekends in it, than under it.