Clutch and DMF replacement timing chain problem?

paulious

Reaction score
Hi,

So for the last year or more my car has shown symptoms of the dreaded cam chain problem. EML came on with the mismatch in cam shaft speed errors, uneven power through the rev range, very occasionally (once every 3 months) it would stall and run rough. Then over the last few weeks the clutch/flywheel seemed to be failing with a clonking noise when depressing the clutch and very unsmooth gear changes in the sense of the flywheel not seeming to re-engage smoothly.

I spoke to a local garage and asked for them to replace clutch and DMF and whilst there were there to replace the chain, guides and tensioners. Unfortunately they got a quote for genuine parts on all necessary bits for the chain replacement and parts alone would have been around £1600! This just wasn't possible for me to afford so they replaced the clutch and flywheel with LUK OEM parts with a total bill of £1200 which I thought was very reasonable!

Having now driven the car it feels like it's fixed all the problems, obviously the clonking has gone away but the very sluggish starting has gone away, power seems to be, certainly improved if not perfect. The EML light is still on but they wouldn't have reset the codes and I haven't got a computer at hand to do so. The gearbox feels more notchy than before but I suppose in a positive way.

I had a look at the old parts they removed and the friction plate on the clutch was fine, the DMF had a degree of perpendicular play (which the mechanic agreed was a sign of wear) and one of the spokes on the DMF that point into the centre hole was significantly bent. Sorry I have no mechanical skills! So really my question is could these replacement parts genuinely have an effect on the turning over of the engine and general chain related problems??

Thanks in advance for your input.

Paul

54 plate 3.2 v6 A3