now this is just silly

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Once again, armrest stuck in the upright position. Now I've looked through older posts and can't find a fix. Is there an easy fix to this? do I just screw the "screw" back further? cause it's not aligned like before?

DSC00303.jpg

this is from underneath the rear ashtray

The release button is probabley broken, remove the front piece that holds it in place by undoing the 4 screws inside hidden amongst the fuzz. You can buy a new button apparently although this will break in future or replace the broken plastic bits with some metal.

yeah my button is broken. Ok so once I've taken it off and changed the plastic bits then do I just screw the button back on and leave the springs holding the mechanisim in place? (in the rear ashtray?) and do u know where I can source a button from?

dont know if even similer but on my mk4 golf a coin from inside the armrest fell down a hole into armrest tilt mechanism jamming it. I took armrest off and 'worked' it upside down a while untill coin fell out. moral spend all your cash dont stash it in your car

Yes they undo easy enough with the right size torx screwdriver <10.
Can be done with a flat head that is the exact diameter of the star.
Will post a pic of the mod tomorrow if you want to see what to do stop this happening again.
Have to go for beer now.

Here are the pics, drill out cleans hole where the plastic has broken. I used some 4mm dia copper,
but a piece of wire coat hanger would work as well or perhaps a piece of M4 thread etc.
The pieces are secured in place with some JB Weld epoxy or anything of the like.

Mod.jpg

and make sure when you refit it the steel release pieces on either side of the armrest are
sandwiched between the new metal bits and the platic bit that havent broken as below.

Reassembly.jpg